PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Strain gauge flyline / running line

Moderator: Torsten

Lee Cummings
Answers: 0

Post by Lee Cummings »

VGB wrote:
Lee Cummings wrote:
Merlin wrote: Unfortunately, we have no mean today to measure line tension at tip level during a real cast and tell us what really happens. Casting with overhang seems however to confirm that a disconnection / compression phase can occur.

Merlin
Maybe one day someone could somehow engineer these into a fly line...

Regards

Lee
Fitting them is the easy part, getting the data from the gauge to your recording device is the challenge :D
Could it be possible......?

Regards

Lee
VGB

Post by VGB »

You could but the line would weight 6lb
Casting instruction - making simple things complicated since 1765

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Magnus

Post by Magnus »

Loving that glib dismissive reply Vince. Nice to see standards in the Tech section are being maintained.
"Actually I can't because you are right! " Paul Arden 8/6/2019
Walter

Post by Walter »

Magnus wrote:Loving that glib dismissive reply Vince. Nice to see standards in the Tech section are being maintained.
Perhaps asking for an explanation would be more productive and conducive to conversation. Sometimes it is hard to go into detail on a mobile device.

Weight would still be an issue. Even with small circuit items you still need to have power, support circuitry, container, recording or sending device, etc.

Making an entire line out of strain gauges would also be expensive. Having a few at key locations would be more likely but one at the fly end would still be heavy because it would have to stand up to casting.
"There can be only one." - The Highlander. :pirate:

PS. I have a flying tank. Your argument is irrelevant.

PSS. How to generate a climbing loop through control of the casting stroke is left as a (considerable) exercise to the reader.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

The T3000. That would keep the attention of the score boys. Stop for a quick chat or a smoke and BAM - instant death!
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Walter

Post by Walter »

What is the T3000?

PSS. How to generate a climbing loop through control of the casting stroke is left as a (considerable) exercise to the reader.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

It's the 3000 Gram event Walter.
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Walter

Post by Walter »

Okay. If 3000 grams is castable, and I know Lasse can cast a rubber chicken, it should be possible to do something smaller than a rubber chicken and weighing less than 3000 gm. Probably could be under 6 pounds.

My thoughts are that making one loooooong strain gauge would be expensive and problematic. Two or three strategically placed could work if they didn't cause hingeing.

I'm also thinking that rather than using an rf transmitter or digital storage that a multicolour led could save a lot of weight. Record in slow motion and use colour to see the current strain...

Nick

Post by Nick »

Lee Cummings wrote:
Maybe one day someone could somehow engineer these into a fly line...

Regards

Lee
Fitting them is the easy part, getting the data from the gauge to your recording device is the challenge :D[/quote]

Easy. Attach specified length of fly line to one side of the strain gauge, attach appropriately sized wire to the other using that instead of fly line on the reel side, and to download the data. It would have limited lifespan before the wire broke, but you'd get a few casts out of it.
Walter

Post by Walter »

Measuring at the rod tip would be fairly easy. Trying to get midline or fly end readings gets harder.

Return to “Flycasting Physics”