PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Thinner Lines = higher speed

Moderator: Torsten

ACW
Answers: 0

Post by ACW »

Paul when we meet up I will bring silk ,this techie talk is above my brain grade.
What peoples opinions on Tom (Sunray)bells lines,having met him at the bristol fly and lure exhibition last year ,he is certainly a driven caster/fisher.
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Andy, not too impressed with the fake marketing, otherwise fine overweight lines..

This is what Tom writes about me on FB after he has blocked me, on a friends page... Not overly impressed by the guy :D
Daniel D Holm Lasse Karlsson is embedded in the group sexy loops. The owner of sexy loops and I disagreed on something. Since then lasse and others in sexyloops has criticised and tried to harm any design of mine, which this line is. He is banned from all comments on Sunray. I would ban him here too. It's a malicious attempt to undermine great products because he wasn't involved. These people have never had access to the materials you need to test the claims that this line is 10% thinner. Not 40% like Lasse wrongly says. My Sunray micro thin lines are 25% thinner. They used to be 30% thinner when they were on mono core. Now they are on braid. The ASI is a low diameter line, not micro thin. I was very very clear with the owner of ASI he was not to claim anything more than 10% thinner. Back to sexy loops. Never been 100 yards near a fly line factory never mind know how to measure the SG, true weight and diameters. Fly line design, evaluation and measuring happens in the factory, not on some self appointed, internet trolls keyboard. The aftma system has been redundant for 15 years. These 'experts' think that because some archaic competition rules say what a fly line is then the globe should follow. I sold 25,000 lines last year. How many to competition casters? Maybe 10.
My mistake with the 40%... :blush:

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
James9118

Post by James9118 »

I once chopped up a Sunray line one and measured its various properties - it did not live up to the marketing claims, but then again how could it - what was being claimed was physically impossible as explained by Archimedes over 2000 years ago i.e. displacement/buoyancy laws.

Have you done the experiment yet Paul?
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

https://www.flyfishing.co.uk/tackle-tal ... nes-9.html

Just scroll down to James' post, I advice not to read the rest of the thread if you want to remain relatively sane :upside:

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Do I know him?!
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Lee Cummings

Post by Lee Cummings »

I don’t have time to read this whole thread but did you try the old threading them up through the same rod and casting them at a fixed length together
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

No because I think that the relative inputs are different. When I cast a 4WT line on let’s say ERN+1 compared to 6 on similar relative stiffness then the false casting is quicker. I haven’t had a chance to test this and measure it but it’s something I can do at the SL weekend the weekend after the Worlds.

It’s very apparent to me because I use a 10 most of the time for Snakehead where I need maximum speed shots. But when I drop to a lighter line for Gourami my line speed (or false casting speed) is higher.

There are a number of reasons this could be - it’s easier to move lighter less air resistant lines through the air during the Casting Stroke, the loop unrolls quicker, the loop size naturally is tighter. Or it may be my imagination :D

I’ll test as soon as I can.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
James9118

Post by James9118 »

Paul Arden wrote: I’ll test as soon as I can.

Cheers, Paul
How about a number of us do the timed experiment at your gathering after the Worlds? :pirate:

Cheers, James
Stoatstail50

Post by Stoatstail50 »

What gathering ?
Casting Definitions

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

25-26 August. At the Mill :) Hope you can make it Mark. Only problem is I have no beds and the hotels are full apparently. However I do have tents, including some very big ones!

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Flycasting Physics”