PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Thinner Lines = higher speed

Moderator: Torsten

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: Thinner Lines = higher speed

Post by Paul Arden »

Well I still don’t know. In my boat I fish two outfits. Either an 8 or a 10, and a 6 or a 4.

Imagine you are false casting the fly dry with a high speed casting sequence. For me that thinner line is faster through the air.

But I’m not sure now because there was wide disagreement! I never actually got around to filming things. The road to hell is paved with good casting intentions. It will happen though.

No Carol - that’s been put off this year because it’s impossible for me to travel internationally without quarantine to Europe, I’d rather avoid the plague :p and the spouse VISA I have for Malaysia probably won’t allow me to return because I don’t have permanent residence status (takes 7-10 years).

So all of this year has been put forward/back to next year.

Anyway Sept 22nd, Sexyloops’ Birthday, I’ll be fishing for Sailfish! :cool:

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Bianchetti Ivan
Answers: 0

Post by Bianchetti Ivan »

I have not read all the posts, so surely I made something wrong, I am convinced that the line takes the maximum speed that reaches the tip of the rod and no more, whatever the weight or thickness of the line, the environmental conditions will affect but for both thrown weights or shims.🤔
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I’m very surprised at this but J can only assume that not everyone throws their line at maximum speed!

Flycasting Definitions
Bianchetti Ivan

Ovviamente la massima velocitá (sempre secondo il mio pensiero) é quando la linea parte dalla canna, poi, anzi prima, perché poi é troppo tardi, sta al lanciatore fare in modo che la mantenga il piú possibile.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Obviously the maximum speed (always according to my thought) is when the line starts from the rod, then, or rather earlier, because then it is too late, it is up to the caster to make sure that he maintains it as much as possible.
This is true (actually it’s slightly after I believe), so if I’m right either the line initially has higher line speed or less losses (unlikely) or casts a tighter loop. I have an idea for some videos. :)

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Bianchetti Ivan

Paul Arden wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:10 am
Obviously the maximum speed (always according to my thought) is when the line starts from the rod, then, or rather earlier, because then it is too late, it is up to the caster to make sure that he maintains it as much as possible.
This is true (actually it’s slightly after I believe), so if I’m right either the line initially has higher line speed or less losses (unlikely) or casts a tighter loop. I have an idea for some videos. :)

Cheers, Paul
It would be nice to clarify these aspects, I realize that the more I think about it the more confused and uncertain I am.

Return to “Flycasting Physics”