PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Loop Morph

Moderator: Torsten

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: Loop Morph

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi John,

Sorry that’s my fault. The head is 68ft. After this it’s overhang to the rod tip. Carry we are measuring to the line hand (excluding leader of course). So depending on how long the rod and the distance your hands are separated at max haul gives the carry length to leave the tip of the head at the rod tip.

Let’s say 9 ft rod. With a blocking backcast maybe 3ft haul. That would be 80’ carry to have no overhang. The problem there is counterflex is pulling the head into the loop. There is a dramatic difference between pulling the head into the loop at MCF and leaving the head at the top of the loop with overhang to MCF. So let’s take that stroke and add 6’, which is about right, six feet of loop to MCF, leaves the head at the top of the loop and total carry is 86’.

With my 170 stroke my hauling hands are further apart (I’ve just measure 5’10”) plus my rod tip is lower. In fact I’ve measured a loop width of 10’ on the log video. So I add 6’ (haul) plus 9’ (rod) plus 10’ (loop) plus head 68’ which gives 93’. Ok the loop didn’t start at 10ft but morphed down there. So it would be slightly less. I did measure my carry at 92 for the later part (I think it was 92’6” - it’s written in the movie notes on YouTube). Initially my carry was 88’6 at the point of increased morphing. So I’m guessing there is approx a 6’ of line between MCF and the top of the loop with the HT10 and my stroke.

So that is my starting point. Forgetting storm winds which are rare, I aim to leave the end of the head at the top of the loop. This is optimal for me. Occasionally I find that with a slight tailing wind if I increase this by a couple of feet - or leaving the head plus two feet of running line at the very top of the loop - I can get more distance. The loop is less stable. Tracking suddenly is more of a problem. The line is very susceptible to giving problems the more running line you place between the head and the top of the loop. However it gives me my longest casts.

No wind, head wind - never do I extend. 88’6 optimal (for my stroke and current rod). However give me a little bit of a tail wind, I’ll carry 88’6 and make sure that I put some good casts down first. And then I’ll add a couple of feet and try to hook one up.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
John Waters
Answers: 0

Post by John Waters »

Thanks Paul, fully understand, thanks for your post, excellent. Your point about using your allotted time to vary a few controllable components of your cast is very important.

Thanks again,

John
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Spot on the John. You have 2 or 3 minutes, casting from cold. You need a game plan. I figured that out a long time ago watching Steve’s BOW results. Each cast was progressively longer.

First cast I’m not trying to throw my longest; I’m focussed on tracking. Second cast I’m focussed on late rotation. Third cast I’m feeding in power through weight shift. Fourth cast I’m flat out. It varies from year to year but I always have a plan.

The problem is variable conditions need to be taken into account. But basically I have a plan when I get up there. Many don’t and then blame nerves. But the reality is that it’s their game plan didn’t work or they just didn’t have one.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson
Answers: 0

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

That's tight Paul, I can't measure my carry that accuratly in the heat of the moment 😳
And since all my MED's vary in head length, it wouldn't matter either 😉

Yes to a game plan!

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I'm sure that you probably do measure them that closely, Lasse, it's just that maybe you don't know how close you are! I don't go by the actual length of line of course but by the loop morphing point, so if the head length varies then so too will the carry point. I get to the morphing point - which in this case was 88'6" - and then if I decide to carry more then I do so in the later part of the round.

It was interesting because I tested it twice. When I got the first result of 88'6" I redid it to check (because it was lower than expected) and the second time the length was the same. (+/- 6inches, I am measuring the line running up and down a log, without a lifejacket :laugh: ) I got to the optimal loop morphing carry point :p and tied a knot in the line both times.

I don't pretend the numbers are exact but I think you'll find if you repeat the experiment you'll find something similar. After all we've been doing this for a long time!

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Flycasting Physics”