PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Two heads cast at the same time

Moderator: Torsten

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: Two heads cast at the same time

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Martin,

I don’t know. But I remember years ago seeing video animations of the loop unrolling without air drag taken into account. They unrolled but not very nicely (this could have been the programming) and then they all kicked quite considerably. I would think there would be an acceleration as the loop unrolls but this might be debatable! :D

I’ll leave the rest for others to answer :cool:

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Torsten
Answers: 0

Post by Torsten »

Here is a possible example, currently only a level line, with gravity but without air drag. I'll see that can I extend this model with your parameters, Martin.
Attachments
line.gif
line.gif (429.43 KiB) Viewed 2624 times
troutcontrol

Post by troutcontrol »

Unbelievable!
THX!!!
gordonjudd

Post by gordonjudd »

Here is a possible example,
Torsten,
Good to see that you are continuing to work on your loop model. Does this include an estimate for the line stiffness?

That seems to be the missing link in being able to match the shape you get with a length of fly line in the string shooter. Professor Hanna is still looking for a grad student to take on that challenge.

When you add drag I will bet the line fall rate will be reduced as well. That loop shape should have some net positive force due to form drag.

Gordy
Torsten

Post by Torsten »

Hi Gordy,
Does this include an estimate for the line stiffness?
It's on the TODO list - first I'll extend the data model for the line taper and then follows aerodynamics and line (bending) stiffness.
I hope to find a few hours this weekend.

Torsten.
James9118

Post by James9118 »

gordonjudd wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:59 pm

When you add drag I will bet the line fall rate will be reduced as well. That loop shape should have some net positive force due to form drag.

Gordy
It will change the fall rate in the same way as a brick falls slower in air than it does in a vacuum, however we all know that fly lines don't generate lift.

Return to “Flycasting Physics”