PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Two heads cast at the same time

Moderator: Torsten

Merlin
Answers: 0

Re: Two heads cast at the same time

Post by Merlin »

Interesting points Lee, I shall incorporate that in the simulation and see if cutting the front taper and the handling section has some influence. I did not have the correct description of the leader either.

Thanks

Merlin
Fly rods are like women, they won't play if they're maltreated
Charles Ritz, A Flyfisher's Life
gordonjudd

Post by gordonjudd »

Both heads have the complete back taper plus 1ft of level running line. The leader was also 6ft giving a total length (including 1ft of shooting line overhang) of 67ft from the rod tip to the fly.
Lee,
That would seem to say the roll out length from the rod tip to the end of the visible heads would be 61 feet or 18.6 m.

I am surprised that cSwing computes shorter distances and it appears that the reversed head roll out length is about 1 m shorter than the normal head as shown below. Dirk and I used the same 18 foot rod length (5.48 m) to get the pixel to meters scaling number so I wonder why our roll out distances are different. Maybe I am not seeing the actual ends of the lines in my video.

Could you post of picture of the relative lengths you see in your viewer just as the lines straighten out and start to fall?

We should be able to resolve a 4m difference in values. I can check the actual length of the curved length of the lines in the picture above as well but I don't think that will make a 4 m difference.

Thanks,
Gordy
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

Hey Lee,

Did you ever film the cast with both lines in the same (standard) configuration but with different sized flies tied to the leader? In my confusion, I thought this one pictured above was that cast, but both Merlin and Gordy are using it to compare normal and reversed heads.

My own head is reversed, I think. :)

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
gordonjudd

Post by gordonjudd »

Maybe I am not seeing the actual ends of the lines in my video.
Lee,
Looking at the .mov file you put on dropbox I can see the reversed head was longer than I thought. Now its actual end is lost by the lack of constrast between the line and the trees in the background.

That rod tip to tree distance is about 15.9 meters so now I am seeing a 2.1 m difference. Maybe your picture will show the other 2 meters of line.

Gordy
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Gordy, just a thought, did you account for the rod being canted to the side, and therefore pointing slightly towards the camera? That could give a signifikant difference in measuring the length?

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Lee,

Since it was an unexpected result and it was suggested that the tapers may not be identical (hey when are two lines ever exactly the same?) I made the suggestion that if the cast was repeated with the lines reversed, and the results were still the same, then any taper variation could be discounted.

In other words if the reversed scandi beats the scandi, with both lines taking turns at being the reversed scandi, then there can be no question about taper.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Lee Cummings

Post by Lee Cummings »

Hi Paul
I will repeat the exercise (twice) and post the videos, however next time it will be with two heads from a different company.

I have two heads which I think sit in between the Scandi and Long Head Spey with regards to weight distribution.

Cheers
Lee
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

That's awesome mate. Looking forward to it :)

Thinking about it, even a small variation in the size of the fluff might have an effect.

Cheers, Paul

edit: I see Graeme has had the same thought above.
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Lee Cummings

Post by Lee Cummings »

Two Gaelforce Extreme Distance 55g heads.
Unmodified out of the box, with no leader or fly.
The original files are in my Dropbox

Cheers
Lee

Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

.. and in both casts, one of the heads is reversed and the other is the right way around?

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI

Return to “Flycasting Physics”