PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Two heads cast at the same time

Moderator: Torsten

Lee Cummings
Answers: 0

Re: Two heads cast at the same time

Post by Lee Cummings »

Hi Gordy

I took extreme care to ensure that both heads, leaders, fly size and the running line overhang at the start of the cast was exactly the same length...to within millimetres at least.

Cheers
Lee
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Anyway such changes do not modify the outcome significantly. The problem is elsewhere, likely in the actual tapers.

Lee, would it be possible to make the test suggested by Paul: swap the lines and use the former reversed one in normal conditions and the formal normal line in reversed conditions?

If there is a problem with specs that should pop up.

Many thanks in advance.

Merlin
Fly rods are like women, they won't play if they're maltreated
Charles Ritz, A Flyfisher's Life
Lee Cummings

Post by Lee Cummings »

Merlin
Certainly, but could you first please remind me what the problem actually is?
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Lee,

The problem is that what we see on the video is not the expected behavior of lines, whilst it was all right for the Scandi, and this is confirmed by analyzis. I know that everything has been checked and that there is no error of identifications of the Spey lines.

Merlin
Lee Cummings

Post by Lee Cummings »

Will the position of the tapers in each line interact and affect the tension in the other line, given that they were both connected to the same shooting line?

Cheers
Lee
gordonjudd

Post by gordonjudd »

I took extreme care to ensure that both heads, leaders, fly size and the running line overhang at the start of the cast was exactly the same length...to within millimetres at least.
Lee,
That is interesting. Maybe I am not seeing the lines well enough and they do have the same roll out length even though the picture that shows the reversed line is falling and the normal line is about to straighten out it appears that the normal head length is longer. Maybe you could check ithat final roll out length with your viewer as it seems to provide better contrast and makes it easier to see the lines.

How long were the cut heads that you attached to a common running line? I had assumed that the full length of the 20m long heads were strung through the guides. Thus there was 5 meters (or so) of each head inside the rod so the apparent roll out length was around 15 m.
Lee, would it be possible to make the test suggested by Paul: swap the lines and use the former reversed one in normal conditions and the formal normal line in reversed conditions?
Merlin,
Just based on the relative size of the loops I think they were correctly identified.

Gordy
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

I do not think so, Lee. It would be nice to use the same carry (about 15 m) than in the first video and keep the cast tethered. The running line will remain on the reel or nearly so. I do not expect an interference in the fist video, my usual suspect is that either the tapers are not on spec, either the description I use for the taper, which is approximative, is incorrect.

In the first video it is as if the front taper (normal line) was steeper than the back taper of the reversed line. That cannot be unless there is something unexpected in the line. :)

Merlin

Sorry for being slow to answer, today each time I want to answer from my iPhone, it fails and the board asks for another login :(
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Gordy

The lines were correctly identified, no doubt about that, but they do not behave like the Scandi(s). There must be a reason why, this is what I am after.

Merlin
Lee Cummings

Post by Lee Cummings »

Both heads were cut to exactly 60ft (18.2m) mainly by losing some of the original front taper (as it’s very difficult to cast when reversed).

Both heads have the complete back taper plus 1ft of level running line. The leader was also 6ft giving a total length (including 1ft of shooting line overhang) of 67ft from the rod tip to the fly.

Cheers
Lee
0D198673-80D4-4E82-A999-B56DA5FE5EF9.jpeg
Lee Cummings

Post by Lee Cummings »

The black lines crudely illustrate the cutting points described above.
189FC0CC-190C-4004-98EC-59035E3B0899.jpeg

Return to “Flycasting Physics”