PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Two heads cast at the same time

Moderator: Torsten

Lasse Karlsson
Answers: 0

Re: Two heads cast at the same time

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Lee Cummings wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:55 am No Paul, the reversed head turned second in both examples with the Gaelforce lines 😉

Just look at the contrast between the two lines as they are getting launched, the near side line is thicker near the rod tip and it’s quite obvious thats the one which is the right way round.

Cheers
Lee
Hi Lee

What gaelforce lines are you using? I thought the two long ones where the long head spey from Rio?

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Lee Cummings

Post by Lee Cummings »

Lasse Karlsson wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:36 am Hi Lee

What gaelforce lines are you using? I thought the two long ones where the long head spey from Rio?
Cheers
Lasse
In the third video (yesterday on page 20) I am using the gaelforce equaliser 55g, in the second video it was the Rio Long Head Spey, in the first video it was Rio Scandi heads being used.

PS I’m getting flashbacks of organising the WC now where endlessly repeating searchable info becomes my day :upside: :D
Cheers
Lee
Lee Cummings

Post by Lee Cummings »

Paul Arden wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:19 am Ah OK - that makes more sense! If you cast the reversed head on its own can you get it to fly better? With my two hybrid lines I had real problems with the front loaded tapers when casting slow. In particular I had the last section come through very low on the front weighted line.

(Looks like the world of physics has not been turned on its head!)

Cheers, Paul
Reversed Scandi wins this time... :upside:
Both heads had their own running line to pull and yes, I could have had a better leader set up...;)

Cheers
Lee

Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Lee Cummings wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:42 am
Lasse Karlsson wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:36 am Hi Lee

Cheers
Lasse
In the third video (yesterday on page 20) I am using the gaelforce equaliser 55g, in the second video it was the Rio Long Head Spey, in the first video it was Rio Scandi heads being used.

PS I’m getting flashbacks of organising the WC now where endlessly repeating searchable info becomes my day :upside: :D
Cheers
Lee
Sorry mate, didn't spot that you opted for a change in lines, and had only seen the first and second clips :blush:

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Ok that’s more like it. :upside: Must have to do with the variation between the heavy front and the light back. Too big a difference and it causes problems. Smaller variation and it flies better reversed. Hmmm! :D

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
gordonjudd

Post by gordonjudd »

I can't seem to find any info on the taper online. Is there a diagram on the box?
Paul,
Thanks to Lee taking over a 100 diameter measurements on the 55g Galeforce head it is possible to derive a rho_l vs distance profile for that line as shown below.

Those rho_l values result from backing into a volume mass density of the line based on the total expected mass of the head. As noted in the plot that gives a rho_v of 994 kg/m.^3. Thus the line density is very close to that of water.

Gordy
Attachments
image001.jpg
image001.jpg (40.86 KiB) Viewed 5251 times
gordonjudd

Post by gordonjudd »

It’s fine on it’s own, even the wrong way round 🤓

Fark!!!
Double Fark!!!

Gordy
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

I made a first run with the line taper kindly provided by Lee:
Gaelforce 1.JPG
Gaelforce 1.JPG (32.79 KiB) Viewed 5247 times
Gaelforce 2.JPG
Gaelforce 2.JPG (32.49 KiB) Viewed 5247 times
Although there is some tuning needed, and for that I expect some video analyzis (thanks to volunteers), the comparison in between lines sounds correct: the line in the normal way accelerates whilst the reversed one travels rather slowly. There should be a very late acceleration for the reversed line but given the loop troubles on the video, I cannot say if this will be visible in an analyzis.
So like for the Scandi, there is a logic in the comparative behavior. The Long Spey situation is not yet clarified and if Lee could measure the taper, that would help to understand what is going on I hope. Many thanks in advance.

Merlin
Fly rods are like women, they won't play if they're maltreated
Charles Ritz, A Flyfisher's Life
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

The Gaelforce head taper
Gaelforce head taper.JPG
Gaelforce head taper.JPG (9.98 KiB) Viewed 5246 times
Merlin
Fly rods are like women, they won't play if they're maltreated
Charles Ritz, A Flyfisher's Life
troutcontrol

Post by troutcontrol »

Standing on the moon, fly rod in casting position, someone has straighten the shooting head (no leader) behind me.
If I do a cast (without shooting) what will happen?

I have no clue - but believe in a loop, a loop propagation and a "kick back" when the fly leg is running empty.
Correct?

Will there be any difference in the "kick back" if I do this "cast" (same speed) with

- a Delta Taper SH 30´/500gr,
- a reversed Delta Taper SH 30´/500gr
- a running line 30´/ 100gr ?

THX
Martin

Return to “Flycasting Physics”