PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Tracker Software

Moderator: Torsten

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Tracker Software

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Graeme,

What do you think would be the best way of marking up a MED line so that it can be analysed from a distance where we can see front or back loops on a long carry? I very much doubt we will be able to video back and forward and see the line, although possibly we could still trace the dots.

I could also mark up these two heads I’ve made. I think there might be some interesting use for these and the taper discussions that we were having a couple of weeks ago.

I’m happy to mark up an Instructor rod too if that’s a good idea?

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Graeme H
Answers: 0

Re: Tracker Software

Post by Graeme H »

G'day Paul,

Sorry, I missed this post for some reason. It didn't show up in the "new posts" link.

I'm using just a black marker pen to mark the line every metre. Each mark is 3 centimetres long.

The biggest problem I foresee is the thickness of the line itself. A 5 or 6 weight line is quite thin, and we're going to be standing further from the line to capture the long casts. Plus your casts are going to be travelling at close to the speed of light, so there's that .... ;)

If we can't see the line, we won't see the dots. On the video, the black marks show up as "gaps" in the bright line.

There's no point marking up the rod but a white board marker can be used for that if we find a reason to mark the rod. (easy to clean).

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Graeme,

If the tracker misses a few frames can it still produce a result, or does it need to be able to see the mark every frame?

I suppose I can mark up an 8 or 10WT line. It doesn’t have to be the 5MED. There are no logs like this at the moment but we should be able to figure something out with the boats. We should probably make a list of things to try filming when the fish are sleeping :laugh:

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

It skips an interval of calculated fields if a frame is missed, but it's also possible to set the interval to be 1, 2, 3, or however many frames you want. On the videos downloaded from the internet, that's often the only way to get something to work.

Setting the interval to more than one frame also has the tendency to smooth out the graphs, but the downside there is missing the rapid changes in velocity of the fly leg at the loop.

Yes, I have that list in my head, but you should make a list too. :) I don't have much memory left on my phone though. It'll need to be on yours.

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I don't have much memory left on my phone though. It'll need to be on yours.
No problems. As well as the iPhone, I also have a TG4 camera and a GoPro7. Can download to the laptop as we go.

Incidentally SIM card for your phone - Celcom! It has the best coverage in the jungle - which is not much to be honest, but it's still the best. We can pick one up in town after you arrive (probably the easiest, but if you do fly via KL and decide to pick one up then this is the one).

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

Perth - Changi - Penang.

Maybe you can pick one up for me on the way into Penang? Whatever, maybe being offline for a while will be nice for everyone ... :)
FFi CCI
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Ah right. You’re flying via Singapore. Ok don’t buy a SIM there :D Sure I’ll pick you up a SIM. I’ve been meaning to buy a spare.

Incidentally my house smells of durian.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

Does that overpower the socks?
FFi CCI
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Month old socks, no. Daily socks yes. A ripe durian is about three weeks of socks wearing.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Flycasting Physics”