PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

List of flycasting physics papers and how to find them

Moderator: Torsten

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

List of flycasting physics papers and how to find them

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi guys,

There has been a few comments that it would be nice to read some of the flycasting publications and possibly me even build a library.

Is it possible to compile a list here please?

Thanks,
Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Walter
Answers: 0

Re: List of flycasting physics papers and how to find them

Post by Walter »

Gatti Bono’s papers are available here
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Ca ... Gatti-Bono
"There can be only one." - The Highlander. :pirate:

PS. I have a flying tank. Your argument is irrelevant.

PSS. How to generate a climbing loop through control of the casting stroke is left as a (considerable) exercise to the reader.
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Hi Paul

Apart from the list I sent you (Spolek's library), I have a few papers but not always their complete reference:

* Modeling a fly line by Casey Pearson
* Flyline dynamics, a thesis from Peov Reth for Caltech SU (1999)
* An analytical model for fly line flight with gravity and a tilted traveling line, by M Hendry and M Hubbard, UC Davis

This last one is focusing on loop height change. It mentions energy balance, vertical momentum, and angular momentum too.

Merlin
Fly rods are like women, they won't play if they're maltreated
Charles Ritz, A Flyfisher's Life
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

So there is going to be whole bunch of copyright issues here. What I propose is to create a page on Sexyloops that links to a library of PDF files that I can host on Sexyloops (best case) or link to (worst case - because sometimes linked files disappear or move).

What I will need is contact details of authors in order to get permission to host their documents.

The most practical way to do this would be to create a database using the recent datatables module on Sexyloops. I propose database fields of: author, file name, category, short description and a link to the Board for discussion in the physics forum.

If it’s necessary to purchase the documents then we can cross this bridge when we come to it.

If this sounds good I’ll start by creating the ‘datatable’ and add the physics documents that are currently scattered around Sexyloops. We have PDF files currently from Noel Perkins, Merlin and Grunde and Torsten I believe.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Walter

Post by Walter »

Copyright will be an issue if materials are recreated without permission of the rights holder. Libraries purchase, or are given, copies of material which is then loaned to users individually and then returned for the next interested user.

Making them publicly available to everybody would be an issue in most cases. Making them available using a library model will depend on the country where the library is hosted.
"There can be only one." - The Highlander. :pirate:

PS. I have a flying tank. Your argument is irrelevant.

PSS. How to generate a climbing loop through control of the casting stroke is left as a (considerable) exercise to the reader.

Return to “Flycasting Physics”