PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Q: How does hauling work?

Moderator: Torsten

Graeme H
Answers: 0

Re: Q: How does hauling work?

Post by Graeme H »

jarmo wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:34 pm Graeme: Looking forward to your video.
Sorry, it can't happen this weekend. It's just too windy. :(

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
jarmo
Answers: 1

Post by jarmo »

Hello Merlin.
Merlin wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:21 pm If I use your presentation I would say:
• Is the main role of hauling an increased bend in the rod, or a direct increase in line speed?
• It does both, and their relative importance depends on haul timing
• Care to elaborate?
• Sure. The haul will increase the bend in the rod, especially if it is an early one. In addition it directly increases line speed, especially if it is a late one. The relative proportions of these two effects vary with haul timing.
• Hauling late reduces the energy left into the rod as the line is launched; part of that energy is used to shape the loop, the other part goes into rod counterflex.
That looks very good, and is short enough for me (to communicate).

The subtleties are intriguing but I do not want to mix too much science with fly casting. I get enough of that in other contexts. But my knowledge of this topic was (is?) sub-par, even for instructor work, and I really appreciate what you have done for me here.

Still, I do wonder, in the first diagram with MCL as a function of peak haul velocity time, whether it is possible to delay the haul for so long that MCL would not decrease from a non-hauled cast. With my limited understanding, doing that sounds feasible. But I understand that your graph is for a "fishing cast with gentle haul," and I also suspect that further discussions would just take me into deeper water. I like to wade close to the shoreline.
Graeme H wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:17 am
jarmo wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:34 pm Graeme: Looking forward to your video.
Sorry, it can't happen this weekend. It's just too windy. :(
No need to be sorry: any time, this sounds promising.
Merlin
Answers: 0

Post by Merlin »

I do wonder, in the first diagram with MCL as a function of peak haul velocity time, whether it is possible to delay the haul for so long that MCL would not decrease from a non-hauled cast.
Jarmo

The limit is given by RSP, and below you can see that if you succeed in timing peak hauk velocity with RSP, then you still have some extra (small) deflection. Since it is desirable to release close to RSP, it means that you would have to release the line halway of your haul or someting like that. Not so easy I think.
Haul MCL2.JPG
Haul MCL2.JPG (23.24 KiB) Viewed 1549 times
Merlin
Fly rods are like women, they won't play if they're maltreated
Charles Ritz, A Flyfisher's Life
jarmo
Answers: 1

Post by jarmo »

Merlin wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:46 pm
I do wonder, in the first diagram with MCL as a function of peak haul velocity time, whether it is possible to delay the haul for so long that MCL would not decrease from a non-hauled cast.
The limit is given by RSP, and below you can see that if you succeed in timing peak hauk velocity with RSP, then you still have some extra (small) deflection. Since it is desirable to release close to RSP, it means that you would have to release the line halway of your haul or someting like that. Not so easy I think.
Good point. To be honest, I did not notice the RSP time point in the legend of the graph.

Again, thanks.

Return to “Flycasting Physics”