PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Q: Fast/slow/tip/butt/stiff/soft rods

Moderator: Torsten

Lasse Karlsson
Answers: 0

Re: Q: Fast/slow/tip/butt/stiff/soft rods

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

James9118 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:31 pm Hi Lasse, have you tried the same carry with something like a #3?

I do remember your test, and Tracy and I repeated it. She'd never previously cast a #5 MED on a rod marked #10, but that's the one that went furthest for her (she did bomb out with the #12 rod though). My distances went with the rod numbers but the #12 just felt like I got lucky with one cast.

Cheers, James
Hi James

You didn't repeat it, you made your own version :upside:

I went for average, over 10 cast, and discarded the flop and the fluke... and measured carry for each.
And I did that twice...
And I didn't go by whatever was written on them, then it would have been three 5, a 10 and a 12... ;)
And the control rod said 6 and beat all of them....

I haven't got a rod that has ERN 3,5 and is 9 feet, but I'm sure I have cast some :D guess my carry would be less than max with the control, but more than the broomstick :D

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Paul Arden wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:08 pm and I’m not getting the same “doesn’t make a difference”/“one you know best” results That you are. Which is interesting. That’s why I was asking if you’ve repeated the tests with others.

The carry test doesn’t really work for me because the MED starts to give problems with overhang so the differences between 5 and 10WT rods are less pronounced. If it was a 150’ DT then I think that the differences would be more apparent.

Cheers, Paul
Dude, you doing tests that have a red line through them would be a first, stiffer rod gives instant 2 meters... 5 years after the statement was said, a piece of paper shows one dude had 1 cast that was 2 meters further, the three other dudes 3 casts for each outfit told a different story.
And here we where talking gear so removed from fishing that it really disqualified itself....

I still have Magnus' setup with 6 different weight lines (4-9 true weights) and sadly only three unmarked rods. Having them go through casters of various levels didnt show "cant make it work at all" for anybody, but gravitations towards what people already where using where the end result.

And I would love to have someone else do the casting with those 5 rods, but everyone here is more interested in magic :D
As for the soft/stiff rod, everyone who gets the setup in their hands to try for themselves has an enlightenment moment. Its amazing the amount of people who don't believe my clips, but 1 minute casting it themselves, and boom. Have you dont your clip of it yet? Bet you havent even tried 🤣

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
nicholasfmoore

Post by nicholasfmoore »

You cast best with what you like, if you're crap, anything can be believed and you'll buy into that the rod is magic.
It's the same with pianos. People tend to play better on something that they know is 'expensive' and considered 'one of the best'. It's a physiological thing 😃 how weird is that? I don't like Steinway, which goes against the conventional line of thinking. Much prefer a nice Bosendorfer. 😉

All the best
Nick M

"Memento Piscantur Saepe" :upside:
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

I’ve worked out what it is Lasse!!! We are living in parallel universes.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
nicholasfmoore

Post by nicholasfmoore »

What do you think about this? 😉

All the best
Attachments
Fly-rod-characteristics.jpg
Fly-rod-characteristics.jpg (85.47 KiB) Viewed 3037 times
Nick M

Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Hi Lasse
Recovery rate difference is in the thousands of a second
Although there are differences of about 20% on a test bed, in casting conditions things are different. I just checked a few cases with the 2D casting model and for different rods (glass, graphite), same load and a typical fishing cast, the time for recovery is about 100 ms +/- 3 ms. You are a casting sorcerer IMHO.

The picture above is amazing. Hopefully rods do not take 0.5 to 1 second for recovering.

Merlin
Fly rods are like women, they won't play if they're maltreated
Charles Ritz, A Flyfisher's Life
nicholasfmoore

Post by nicholasfmoore »

Hi Merlin,

Yes, that photo is quite funny 😃 That's interesting, and it would be noticeable. After all, I can tell if someone doesn't play in time, or if their left and right hand isn't in sync, and this is always in milliseconds (for good musicians) and never in seconds. 🙃
I have obviously done tests with different outfits and different people casting them, and I’m not getting the same “doesn’t make a difference”/“one you know best” results
I'm with Paul and James here, there must be an adjustment that's happening, I've tried a long pickup with different rods '#4-#8'. The #8 was a lot easier than the #4 which was incredibly difficult 🙂

I forgot my set of reels once, Lasse, and I always keep a spare in the car. Unfortunately it was a DT4 and it was winter, so I CBA to go back home. I also had my normal '#6' rod. It cast fine, but then an angler came up to me and was quite interested, he wanted a go and could not make it work, not even achieve a reasonable distance, and it was quite sad to watch. 😃

It depends who you give the rods to, instructors with high ability and experience will give you different results to anglers that have average ability and no experience/not even know what a roll cast is even when the have been fishing for 60 years 😃

All the best
Nick M

Bianchetti Ivan

Post by Bianchetti Ivan »

I think it is easier to get away with a rigid rod, first because it shortens less when bending, two because bending less allows you to slide earlier, when you leave the line holding the under part of the loop for less time. (obviously I have no proof and I could be wrong)?!? 🤔😬
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

I can’t tell in two casts whether an outfit will give me more distance after three months of training. The Scottish shootout for me wasn’t proof. It was a door that I glimpsed inside that looked like worth opening. What was that? 10 years ago?

It is a different stroke however. If I cast HT10 stiffness with full stopless 170 then I lose distance. The force application becomes more compact as rod stiffness increases.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Flycasting Physics”