PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Hand speed?

Moderator: Torsten

Mangrove Cuckoo
Answers: 0

Hand speed?

Post by Mangrove Cuckoo »

I recently skimmed through an article on biomechanics and martial arts. The gist of the paper was on how black belts break boards and bricks, but do not sustain broken bones in the process.

Not really my thing. But, a major point of the paper was that hand speed was critical. Some numbers that were mentioned were 6 m/s for the usual punch, but a bit in excess of 10 m/s was the key to breaking things cleanly. There were decimals involved but I rounded the numbers to simplify and to remember them.

So... just out of curiosity... assuming 10 m/s is a maximum... is it humanly possible to exceed the limits enjoyed by a graphite flyrod?

And what about glass and bamboo? Is 6 m/s more than they like?

Once again... scratching my head about things way above it! :D
With appreciation and apologies to Ray Charles…

“If it wasn’t for AI, we wouldn’t have no I at all.”
John Waters

Re: Hand speed?

Post by John Waters »

Hi Gary,

"So... just out of curiosity... assuming 10 m/s is a maximum... is it humanly possible to exceed the limits enjoyed by a graphite flyrod? "

10 m/s is not a maximum, it is exceeded in sports and when done in fly casting it will increase the limits of any rod.

John
John Waters

Re: Hand speed?

Post by John Waters »

After reading comments by both Gary and Paul about explosiveness in another thread, they both got me thinking about acceleration, specifically, do distance casters accelerate their hand at a constant rate on their delivery cast or do they increase their rate of acceleration through their stroke?

John

Return to “Flycasting Physics”