PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Danglin' line

Moderator: Torsten

Lasse Karlsson
Answers: 0

Re: Danglin' line

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Screenshot_20210507-235823_Gallery.jpg
Ok, so thats smooth BDB :blush:

I'll shoot some ticking when we have some sun next :blush:

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
James9118

Post by James9118 »

Lasse Karlsson wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:04 pm Screenshot_20210507-235823_Gallery.jpg

Ok, so thats smooth BDB :blush:

I'll shoot some ticking when we have some sun next :blush:

Cheers
Lasse
Nope - that's wrinkled - I clearly didn't watch it closely enough. But has it ticked?
lasse tick maybe.JPG
lasse tick maybe.JPG (25.69 KiB) Viewed 1658 times
I'd say it's smooth up to here, but is there a chance that your leader has touched down in this still?

Cheers, James
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

So you hit the cast early - how do the wrinkles transmit from your rod tip all the way down the line without being observed, but then appear, clear as anything, in the BDB?
I was thinking rebound from the energy left in the line/unrolling loop. Like a bounce back cast. Need some video! The roof of the boat is perfect because ticking is not really an option!

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

It's an interesting topic. The dangly bit can certainly be an issue with the long carry used in the Trout Distance, but not the Sea Trout or the 38 gram Fly Distance because of the relative trajectory of the backcast. You can't replicate that trajectory for the Trout Distance so the line has that tendency to tick just behind the caster. I am sure any tick impacts distance but I have no way of quantifying that statement. At WCs for the Trout Distance, I think it will always be a trade-off each caster must make between line length carried, line speed generated and distance achieved. A platform will impact that trade-off. Movement tempo, range and resultant line speed can alleviate impact.

John

Return to “Flycasting Physics”