PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Danglin' line

Moderator: Torsten

Lasse Karlsson
Answers: 0

Re: Danglin' line

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Bart, can't really see where he ticks there mate?

For years I would have an argument with Bernd, as he claimed everyone ticked on a long carry, some do but not all. And the fluff/end of leader can make it sound like it ticks... Even did a 85 foot carry standing knee deep in water to prove the point.
At CLA we had a fun competition, 7 weight long belly , 10 foot loomis glx comp, and 10 feet behind the caster there was a nice 4 feet fence.. lots of bad casting, and somehow also lots of good ones 😉

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
bartdezwaan

Post by bartdezwaan »

Lasse Karlsson wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 8:32 pm Bart, can't really see where he ticks there mate?
That is exactly the thing :D
Most people don't notice it.
I think almost every backcast ticks. At 1m 3sec it is quit evident. I know it should be possible to share a link to youtube with the time at the right position, but I don't know how.

It is surely possible to not tick. In the competition I mentioned I actually set the dutch record. But I had to focus. So I can only assume that in less focus mode I am ticking :D

Cheers, Bart
bartdezwaan

Post by bartdezwaan »

Ah. Found how I can share the link at the right time. It isn't quit the right time tho.
Play it at 0.25 of the original speed and you will see it.

Cheers, Bart
bartdezwaan

Post by bartdezwaan »

To be honest. After looking better at it now, I can't be 100% sure that he is ticking.
I better shouldn't be drawing conclusions to quickly. I studied this video some while ago and was really sure that there was a clue of ticking.
Sorry for the confusion.

Cheers, Bart
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Weird bald guy :D

Sometimes it sounds like ticking if the dangle turns into an S. As the fluff goes around the S you hear it. Terrible conditions those. That’s my first trip to Malaysia.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
James9118

Post by James9118 »

My supposition is that maybe the presence of the higher frequency 'wiggles' within the normally smooth 'S' shaped BDB is an indication of ticking. These 'wiggles' are in the OP's photo posted by Stephano (and in post #3) but not in the stills I captured from Lasse's video. There is a point in the video of Paul (as posted by Bart) where the wiggles are also present.

James.
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Hi James

If you look at the high speed footage of Niklas Ericsson in Finland, you will see what happens when ticking yourself after a rushed backcast.
Not too sure that those few exstra wiggles there are from ticking.

But this thread had me slow down a cast from last week, and I noticed an old flaw my personal coach picked at over 10 years ago, better get going at iron it out again :blush:

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

I would have thought they came from timing. Or at least that’s one potential cause. Specifically hitting it slightly too early. I’ll see if so can get them off the roof of the Battleship.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
James9118

Post by James9118 »

Hi Lasse - nothing but a smooth BDB in the video you posted.

I'll be really interested to see if wrinkles in the BDB can be produced without a tick. If it's the Ericsson ST27 video I'm thinking about then I'll need to watch it again - I'm not interested in the issues with the line in front of the caster (I think that a separate issue to do with low angular momentum), I'm interested in the BDB formation and how it passes the caster - is it smooth or wrinkled?

Cheers, James
James9118

Post by James9118 »

Paul Arden wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 2:32 pm I would have thought they came from timing. Or at least that’s one potential cause. Specifically hitting it slightly too early. I’ll see if so can get them off the roof of the Battleship.

Cheers, Paul
Hi Paul,

So you hit the cast early - how do the wrinkles transmit from your rod tip all the way down the line without being observed, but then appear, clear as anything, in the BDB?

My supposition is that they travel the other way, i.e. they are generated by the tick at the fly end of the cast, and stay that vicinity.

Cheers, James

Return to “Flycasting Physics”