PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Tension Discontinuity /DN

Moderator: Torsten

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: Tension Discontinuity /DN

Post by Paul Arden »

Thanks Phil. Nice video. “Not tightening up” is critical in casting sport. In distance, not accuracy, we have the advantage in that we have multiple shots and can have a routine to escalate the intensity over 2, 3 or 4 minutes depending on the event (some are actually 5 minutes). That’s not the case in accuracy when the first shot is the only first shot you’ll get. That’s a different mental game particularly with no real warmup (apart from false casting while stripping line).

When I’m in competition, and I’m throwing well, I feel like I’m standing on top of the world and own everything I can see. The audience, the casting lane, the event. I really try to get that feeling when I walk up there. If I can get that, and get a few nice relaxed shots off while building the momentum, then I know I’ll put a long one down the tape. If I don’t, and it’s frantic, then it’s never going to happen.

I like to think I have one major advantage. I’ve been giving demonstrations on flycasting to audiences for 25 years. It’s much more intense for me having to do public speaking than flycasting. And somehow I just relax when I don’t have to speak! :p

What I do find interesting is that many competitors don’t seem to have a game plan. It’s a long way to go if you don’t have a plan. Look forward to your mail. I remember we discussed some of this before! :)

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Mangrove Cuckoo
Answers: 0

Post by Mangrove Cuckoo »

Phil,

Question about your diagram of tip path/ layout...

What are you observing at the end of the presentation? Does the leader kick over or does it just fall with that deviation to the right?
With appreciation and apologies to Ray Charles…

“If it wasn’t for AI, we wouldn’t have no I at all.”
Phil Blackmar
Answers: 0

Post by Phil Blackmar »

Hi Gary-

It has energy, just out of control. I can eliminate most of the zig zag with smoother rhythm in transition and/or a shorter backstroke with less wrist hinge. It is worse when throwing for distance with lighter rods, reaching for distance into the wind, or heavy flies.

Yesterday I had a friend video me from in front where I threw over his shoulder. Real ego buster...Can't believe I was that far off but it all makes sense and ties into my golf tendencies. Today, I was working on correcting what I saw in the video and came up with a feel. I ran out of time to really check it out,. but I am anxious to try again tomorrow. If it continues to improve, I will post a video.

Hope your are well...

Thanks
Phil

Return to “Flycasting Physics”