PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Tailing Loops vs. Rod Action?

Moderator: Torsten

tinpusher
Answers: 0

Tailing Loops vs. Rod Action?

Post by tinpusher »

Do you believe there is a correlation between the action of the rod and the likelihood of a beginner/intermediate caster throwing tailing loops? My thought is a slower rod is more forgiving to a misapplication of power.
Thomas

Re: Tailing Loops vs. Rod Action?

Post by Thomas »

Hi!

When you use the term slower rod, do you mean a soft rod or a rod with a stiff tip and a "bendy" butt section? I think it is far easier to throw tails with a soft rod compared to a stiff rod. If the rod is really soft, proper application of power is also of utmost importance. An uneven application of power wrecks havoc with the cast. In my opinion a stiff rod is much easier to cast.

/Thomas
tinpusher

Post by tinpusher »

Would I be correct if I said a slow rod distributes the bend over more of the rod and a fast rod limits it's bend to more of the tip section? For the discussion I'm talking short to medium distance casts (30'-50').
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Nope, there is no such thing as a foregiving action 🙂

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

In my experience beginners don’t normally throw tails and it’s an intermediate problem. It’s certainly far easier to throw tails with a softer rod. Indeed with a completely rigid rod it’s virtually impossible.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Soft and stiff rod, both a tail....

Cheers
Lasse

Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Paul Arden wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:53 am In my experience beginners don’t normally throw tails and it’s an intermediate problem. It’s certainly far easier to throw tails with a softer rod. Indeed with a completely rigid rod it’s virtually impossible.

Cheers, Paul
Not many fishing with a rigid rod, and we're talking beginners and intermediates here, so even my clips are way above since I am using gear you'd need to be a competition caster to use...

Could you quantify easier with the soft rod? Rod action largly is where the soft part is placed, softer action rods usually have stiffer tips compared to stiffer action rods that have softer tips, CCS showed that clearly :)

Cheers
Lasse

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Lasse, put an 8wt line on ERN5 and compare to going the other way with say a 2WT. Some fibreglass noodles are extremely difficult not to tail in shootouts. As I wrote above I don’t think tailing is a beginners problem. I can’t ever remember seeing that! Beginners struggle with open loops.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
VGB

Post by VGB »

Are you both agreeing but arguing at the same time 😂😂. Is it a problem with the caster that becomes more prevalent with particular equipment? We need an answer quickly because the river fishing season soon 😀
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Paul Arden wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:37 am Hi Lasse, put an 8wt line on ERN5 and compare to going the other way with say a 2WT. Some fibreglass noodles are extremely difficult not to tail in shootouts. As I wrote above I don’t think tailing is a beginners problem. I can’t ever remember seeing that! Beginners struggle with open loops.

Cheers, Paul
I am so amazed when being told to do stuff to get a result that should be there with other stuff if the theory was true :D

In the clip, I am casting a 8 weight echo epr with an ERN of app 11 and AA of 74, and a glassfiber noodle with an ERN of about 6 and AA of 65, with the same 5 weight line on both. No fisher I have ever met, in real life or online would tell you they fish with such a stiff rod and such a light line, most would like something closer to a 12 weight line on the stiff one :D

Casting a 8 wt line next to a 2 wt line on similar rods poses another problem, momentum, and that has zero to do with the rod :p
You saw what happened with a 5 wt a 9 wt and a 11 wt on the same ERN 5,5 rods in Romania,

And yes, rarely a beginners problem, it does happen though, and I included intermediates in my answer :whistle:

Cheers
Lasse

Return to “Flycasting Physics”