PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Tailing Loops vs. Rod Action?

Moderator: Torsten

VGB
Answers: 0

Re: Tailing Loops vs. Rod Action?

Post by VGB »

“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
tinpusher

Post by tinpusher »

VGB wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:39 am https://www.common-cents.info/
Thanks
tinpusher

Post by tinpusher »

Unfortunately it appears the database was removed.
gordonjudd

Post by gordonjudd »

Is there a rod database that quantifies rod action
Doug,
Here is a link to Theo Matschewsky's rod data base for his 15 degree measurement system. http://www.solitip.de/doc/02tuning/06po ... r_hl=en-US .

His 15 degree measurement approach was discussed on the old board at http://www.sexyloops.co.uk/archivedboar ... 86#p212479. The link to his previous data base that was given in that post that was much bigger, but now gives a 404 error. You could probably contact Theo at theo@solitp.de and get a copy of his bigger Excel file.

You can use Google translator to see his site in English.

Gordy
VGB

Post by VGB »

tinpusher wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:27 pm Unfortunately it appears the database was removed.
There used to be one here but that seems to be broken as well

https://www.sexyloops.com/eric/database ... base.shtml
gordonjudd wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 3:37 pm
Here is a link to Theo Matschewsky's rod data base for his 15 degree measurement system. http://www.solitip.de/doc/02tuning/06po ... r_hl=en-US .
Bitdefender raised a red card on that link because of a potential security risk, maybe it's just embedded macros.

vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Yep I need to pull that database apart and upload it. I organised the new database just haven’t populated it. Maybe, fingers crossed, borders open in March. I can reenlist part time help again. I have tons of these things that need doing.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Here is an illustration of rod action characterization for trout rods. To plot a rod along that graph, you need to measure the dynamic characteristics of a rod. This is done by measuring speed variation with mass (rod embedded at handle level up to the “middle of the hand”), using small masses at tip top of increasing weight. Then you need to “normalize” data by reference to an 8 foot rod for a #5 line by calculation to match the scales of the graphic.
rod action graphic.JPG
rod action graphic.JPG (32.02 KiB) Viewed 1555 times
The ordinate is the “normalized” mass in motion (equivalent mass at tip) and the abscissa is the “normalized” speed for no load.

Merlin
Fly rods are like women, they won't play if they're maltreated
Charles Ritz, A Flyfisher's Life
gordonjudd

Post by gordonjudd »

Then you need to “normalize” data by reference to an 8 foot rod for a #5 line by calculation to match the scales of the graphic.
Merlin,
How do you do that normalization?

I assume it involves using the mo (mass in motion) and spring constant values you get from the frequency vs. tip load measurements and the 1/L\(^2\) dependence of the natural frequency with the clamped length of the cantilevered rod.

Where would a 9 foot rod having a clamped length of 2.711 m, k of 1.125 N/m, and mo of .0026 kg (i.e. natural frequency=3.3 Hz) fall on your curve?

Gordy
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Gordy

It would fall on the extreme range at right with a low ordinate (outside of the graphic). The mo value of this rod is very low for its stiffness. I use to measure frequencies with the rod clamped 8 inches from the butt end (so it would be 2.54 instead of 2.71).

Formulas are not straightforward. Here they are, the “rod length” being your “clamped length” with the 8 inches embedment.

m_0 corrected=m_0 measured* 〖((reference stiffness)/(measured stiffness))〗^0.5 〖* ((reference length)/(rod length))〗^2.5
F_0 corrected=F_0 measured* 〖((reference stiffness)/(measured stiffness))〗^0.25 〖* ((rod length)/(reference length))〗^1.25

These functions come from physics considerations. Now be careful with units used for ratios since everything must be consistent. Here are the values I am using:
Reference stiffness (#5 line) is 0.85 N/m = 0.866 g/cm = 0.0776 Oz/in
Reference length is 2.44m = 244 cm = 8 feet = 96 in.

Merlin
Fly rods are like women, they won't play if they're maltreated
Charles Ritz, A Flyfisher's Life
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Torsten wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:45 pm Hi,

I've checked Lasse's first video:

Lasse_bendy_stiff.png

There is almost no difference of the rod bend!
I'd guess: if the line weights are the same, the rods have at this configuration a similar stiffness. I don't think we're comparing here really "a bendy vs. a stiff" rod.

Greetings,
Torsten
I find it interesting how the goal posts always have to be moved :D

The original myth was that between a soft and a stiff rod, one had to change alot of things, timing, arc, force application etc. That would be between rods with a similar number on the side used to cast a identical line. The Berkley say 5, the sage says 6. Most would fish the berkley with a 5, and put a 7 on the Sage...So far we have had to venture far outside these parameters to have a significant difference, Paul even needs to cheat by changing the outlay of the lines before getting a difference.

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)

Return to “Flycasting Physics”