PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

What is ultimate fly line weight for your fly rod? Or what is the ultimate fly rod for your line? The goal is distance.

Moderator: Torsten

VGB
Answers: 0

Re: What is ultimate fly line weight for your fly rod? Or what is the ultimate fly rod for your line? The goal is distan

Post by VGB »

Hi Paul

I’m using a 9ft blank from Bulgaria that has a #2 written on it. It feels like the old Mk1 Streamflex but most people are using much stiffer blank for this stuff.

Regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Lasse Karlsson

Re: What is ultimate fly line weight for your fly rod? Or what is the ultimate fly rod for your line? The goal is distan

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Paul Arden wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:29 pm Hi Vince,

Maybe it has to do with moving from longer distance to short then. What rod are you using? Funny I remember years ago Henry Lowe taking me aside and showing me that one of the great things about split cane rods was how easy it was to cast just the leader.

Cheers, Paul
I had an interesting conversation with a professionel splitcane rodbuilder, he claimed that the beauty of splitcane was you could cast it slower than graphite...
There where beers involved and a shootout in the street afterwards, turns out you couldn't...

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Walter

Post by Walter »

Lasse Karlsson wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:23 pm
I had an interesting conversation with a professionel splitcane rodbuilder, he claimed that the beauty of splitcane was you could cast it slower than graphite...
There where beers involved and a shootout in the street afterwards, turns out you couldn't...

Cheers
Lasse
Depends what he meant by slower. By the time you take the split cane out of its case, admire the workmanship, caress the ferrules and pass it around on a silk pillow for others to comment on and admire you’ll find the graphite guy has made the cast, caught the fish, packed up, driven off and is enjoying his first pint at the pub. Hopefully, they weren’t carpooling. Definitely slower that way.

If it has something to do with making the fly float gracefully and slowly to the target in such a way that the graphite can’t then all I can say is that energy is energy and the fly and line don’t care where the energy comes from.
"There can be only one." - The Highlander. :pirate:

PS. I have a flying tank. Your argument is irrelevant.

PSS. How to generate a climbing loop through control of the casting stroke is left as a (considerable) exercise to the reader.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Henry was right about a cane rod allowing you to cast a leader only, because the rod bends against its own inertia. Which in turn allows us to form a nice loop using butt rotation. It’s just that carbon rods do this too.

I have used FN rods too Vince. And #4 os like #8. But I don’t like them for dry fly, only nymph. The difference being that the fly is flicked and not delivered by the loop.

I can certain imagine the difference if casting a dry fly. but that same stroke with 3 flies I think is going to cause tangles and quite impressive ones. However I have never tried. Maybe a side bet for a pint? :cool:

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
VGB

Post by VGB »

Paul Arden wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:24 am I have used FN rods too Vince. And #4 os like #8. But I don’t like them for dry fly, only nymph. The difference being that the fly is flicked and not delivered by the loop.

I can certain imagine the difference if casting a dry fly. but that same stroke with 3 flies I think is going to cause tangles and quite impressive ones. However I have never tried. Maybe a side bet for a pint? :cool:
I did it initially because I was too lazy to switch to a fly line, it worked well enough to catch fish. Mind you, we are not allowed to use more than 1 fly because loads of flies makes it too easy. Can my point fly be a beaded nymph?

Regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

VGB

Post by VGB »

I guess 18lb maxima for the droppers is out of the question as well?

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

The middle one!
Attachments
4AB892DC-0CA7-4215-81E8-1A93450B95E9.jpeg
4AB892DC-0CA7-4215-81E8-1A93450B95E9.jpeg (24.93 KiB) Viewed 457 times

Flycasting Definitions
VGB

Post by VGB »

I tie my single dry fly leaders like that so that they collapse. That’s a leader designed for a weighted point fly and a wide stroke.

Regards

Vince

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Interesting :D

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Flycasting Physics”