PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

What is ultimate fly line weight for your fly rod? Or what is the ultimate fly rod for your line? The goal is distance.

Moderator: Torsten

RSalar
Answers: 0

Re: What is ultimate fly line weight for your fly rod? Or what is the ultimate fly rod for your line? The goal is distan

Post by RSalar »

Merlin wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:52 am Ron, Paul

The amount of rod deflection is not a design parameter, although manufacturers use to have a stiffness scale as a guideline. Technically speaking the cast corresponds to the use of a driven oscillator to pull on a line. The technical characteristics of an oscillator are known, and in the fly rod case this ends up in the variation of frequency with load, and this is measurable.

Merlin
Thanks Merlin — this is what I have been driving at but didn’t have the technical knowledge to explain it. There has to be a way to determine the optimal rod parameters for a specific task and a specific caster under specific conditions. This science seems to be lacking in the rod/line manufacturing — or least it’s not communicated very well.

—Ron
FFI - CCI
Lasse Karlsson

Re: What is ultimate fly line weight for your fly rod? Or what is the ultimate fly rod for your line? The goal is distan

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

RSalar wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:33 am Yet we are still going by the archaic numbering system that we all know is pretty much meaningless.

—Ron
Funny, it makes alot of sense to have a line standard, and the one we have works well if one undertands it..

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
nicholasfmoore

Post by nicholasfmoore »

Hi Ron,
I agree with this … BUT that is not the question that I am asking. I want to know what the optimal bend is for one specific set of circumstances.
If we made a robot that copied your best movements on your longest distance cast and swapped out different rods, we would eventually find one that threw further than what you were currently using. So in theory, there would be an optimal rod bend for robojoeblogs, and the taper would be more tippy orientated i would imagine. In reality, the optimal window would change, as no one has ever or will ever throw the same loop twice. We aren't robots, and the optimum bend you speak of would always change, as we are human. Also, when we haul we apply much less force to the rod for the same line speed, so this would significantly reduce the bend, it's a very complicated question that seems easy to answer. It's not that important until we go to the absolute extremes of stiffness, for distance casting you dont want much bend because the rod has to unbend, and that counterflex is pulling the line off-target and reducing line shoot. To reduce counterflex we either use a stiffer rod, use thrust, or just haul much faster whilst taking out the force input on the rod hand, it's not only the rod that contributes to line speed. :cool: See below;
Consequently there is no optimum rod bend, it depends on the caster, and the most powerful caster should be able to make a broomstick work. In fact I do not think that there are many casters able to cast a 1.5 Hz loaded rod with a large weight. I am curious to know the (linear) stiffness of a ST27 or T38 rod. I guess such rods are tuned below 1.5 Hz. There is a lower limit at about 1 Hz loaded, which corresponds approximately to a normal rod casting more than 60 feet of line outside the tip.
Even if the industry developed a standard — and I think it should, it would only indicate how much force it would take to bend the rod a certain amount. Then all the other factors — namely the casters strength, speed, and style; the line type and weight; and finally the atmospheric conditions would come into play.

To me it’s crazy that we, as fly fishermen and fly casters, can’t pick up a fly rod, read the flex rating, and know how that rod will perform. With this objective rating system the caster could, through experience and experimentation, choose the rod that he thinks will work the best for the conditions and what he is trying to do.
A good caster will make anything work, i suppose it depends on what level you are talking. General angler or an elite distance caster? There never was and never will be a standard for rods i'm afraid, the number on the rod is always someone's opinion, and most of the marketing blurb talks about rod load as being the reason casting works, and it's not.

All rods are progressive in action, but a rod that is very tippy to start off with is probably the best for extreme distance, i know rods with soft butt sections are quite bad, and i have had experienced just that with a well known brand. It was so bad that i took it back and got something else.

So to answer your question, yes, there would be an optimal bend, if the caster didn't change and was a robot (theoretical) in reality we just bang different lines through rods to see what happens, you can use the common cents system to see what type of taper it has, though. :)

What casting level is this aimed at? In a practical sense, the answer is relatively easy. You do a certain amount of casts with different rods to see which one you throw the furthest with, under the same conditions that you have already mentioned. This is how i picked my current new rod, the only reason i changed is because the rod butt kept slipping off my arm with the cradle grip, and i wanted one rod for all the British events in the afternoon.

Maybe later on i'll find a stiffer rod that gives me slightly more, but i doubt it. I'm about the same with a 690 and a 990. The 990 does give me some more distance, sometimes. Not all the time, so i need to practice more, and this is the key. I use the 690 all the time for fishing, and this is the one that throws the furthest for me, in fact it gave me a new #5 PB of 139'.

Difficult question, there isn't an optimal bend in the real world i'm afraid, not a practical one anyway. :cool:

All the best
Nick M

"Memento Piscantur Saepe" :upside:
nicholasfmoore

Post by nicholasfmoore »

The more time you spend with a rod, then the more you get used to its idiosyncrasies, and thus you will be very in tune with your rod. This is why people throw the furthest with the rods they use, and practice with all the time.
Nick M

"Memento Piscantur Saepe" :upside:
gordonjudd

Post by gordonjudd »

A key parameter for the caster is the MOI of the rod which influences his maximum rotation speed capability
Merlin,
How does the MOI of the rod compare to the equivalent MOI of the line (when all the line is outside the tip of the rod) if you assume the rotation axis for the MOI calculations is near the elbow at MRF? I would expect the MOI of the line would be larger than the MOI of the rod under those conditions.

Gordy
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Difficult to say Gordy, the line is not a rigid object linked directly to the hand of the caster as he rotates the rod. Different parts of the line go into different directions, estimating its MOI is a headache.

This makes the feel of the line pretty difficult to analyse (discussed in another thread already).

One can easily notice the change in MOI of a rod if one swaps from a 9' to a 10' of comparable line for example.

Merlin
Fly rods are like women, they won't play if they're maltreated
Charles Ritz, A Flyfisher's Life
gordonjudd

Post by gordonjudd »

for distance casting you don't want much bend because the rod has to unbend, and that counterflex is pulling the line off-target and reducing line shoot.
Nicholas,
Can you explain why you don't want much bend in the rod to get a maximum fly leg speed at MCF?

Just from an energy standpoint I would think the aim is to maximize the area under the force vs distance curve that is being applied to the line during the forward cast. That force component is related to spring constant (which varies depending on the bend) and the amount of bend in the rod so I would think you would want to maximize that force component not minimize it.

Also I would think that the amount of line you can shoot would depend on the tension in the rod leg and the amount of guide friction. I don't see how the counterflex of the rod impacts those parameters.

Gordy
gordonjudd

Post by gordonjudd »

Difficult to say Gordy, the line is not a rigid object linked directly to the hand of the caster as he rotates the rod. Different parts of the line go into different directions, estimating its MOI is a headache
Merlin,
That is true for the actual line configuration but if you assume the line is traveling horizontally and the perpendicular distance from the rod tip to the elbow is around 2.5 meters that would give a nominal MOI value for 30 g of line to be around 30*2.5^2= 187 g-m.^2.

Calculating the MOI of a bent rod is also complicated but here is a plot that estimates the MOI of a bent rod about the elbow of 88 g-m.^2.
MOI_bent_elbow.jpg
MOI_bent_elbow.jpg (30.35 KiB) Viewed 721 times
Consequently the MOI of the line would be about twice the value of rod under those simplifying conditions.

Gordy
VGB

Post by VGB »

Hi Ron
RSalar wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:33 am To me it’s crazy that we, as fly fishermen and fly casters, can’t pick up a fly rod, read the flex rating, and know how that rod will perform. With this objective rating system the caster could, through experience and experimentation, choose the rod that he thinks will work the best for the conditions and what he is trying to do.

I’ve read about the common sense system but find it very confusing.
It’s possible to characterise a rod with a bunch of lines under varying conditions but you would end up with a set of data sheets a bit like a flight manual. The testing costs would be passed onto the consumer, most of whom will either not understand the data, or give a flying fig about it anyway. CCS by comparison is quite simple and usable but gives you a better builders thumb estimate.

Regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Dirk le Roux

Post by Dirk le Roux »

gordonjudd wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:24 pm a nominal MOI value for 30 g of line
Hi Gordy

That line weight is equivalent to 30 ft of about a AFFTA 13 weight. I wonder what is the gram weight of a MED at say 80 ft of carry. Its first 30 ft is 9.1g.

Trident's Spreadsheet
has some measured MOI values of various rods, for what it's worth.

At 57gm² for 30 ft of a true 5 weight line, it's 2.5m MOI is roughly similar to MOI of the very lightest 5 weight rods in that table.

All the best,
Dirk

Return to “Flycasting Physics”