PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

What is ultimate fly line weight for your fly rod? Or what is the ultimate fly rod for your line? The goal is distance.

Moderator: Torsten

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: What is ultimate fly line weight for your fly rod? Or what is the ultimate fly rod for your line? The goal is distan

Post by Paul Arden »

VGB wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:52 pm Tippet length Paul, your leader is effectively an 11ft tippet attached to a 9ft leader.

Regards

Vince
Ah you are taking about the second one? Sorry thought when you said single fly you were meaning the first one. Regards the long leader it can be three dries, so long as they are tapered in terms of wind resistance. Eg Sedge, Shipmans, Suspender. Which would be a standard set up for me. You are right; if it was replaced with a single fly, without tapering, then I’m sure it will collapse.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
VGB
Answers: 0

Re: What is ultimate fly line weight for your fly rod? Or what is the ultimate fly rod for your line? The goal is distan

Post by VGB »

Paul

It’s nothing to do with the numbers of dry flies, it’s your short tip path.

Regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Are you saying that this leader configuration that I’ve been fishing for 35 years doesn’t unroll? If that’s the case I’m pleased I didn’t know that :D

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Na Paul, I think Vince is saying that your mind plays tricks on you, and when the rod in your hand feels stiffer, you use smaller movements, and that fucks up your cast. You know, sometimes its good to fuck up, but just not then 🙂

Found the tcr and xp in the garage, just need to make some leaders, its 3,35 meters of 0,20mm right? For the tippet, leader ends in 0,25 mm right?

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Ah right. Yes when flicking a longish 3 fly leader with a stiffer rod I use smaller sharper movements.

Flycasting Definitions
VGB

Post by VGB »

Go longer, young man :-)
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
RSalar

Post by RSalar »

Walter wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:20 pm As for scientific proof - OYE. It has been given, repeated, regiven, restated, washed, rinsed, repeated ad nauseum.
False!

Lasse casting two rods is not scientific proof. Neither is a bunch of people arguing that "bend doesn't matter." There has been zero scientific proof presented (on either side). And your deflection (no pun intended) isn't helping the Bend Doesn't Matter school's case. If I'm the bend guy then you are the uncorroborated guy. :D

OYE BMMTYT,

Ron
FFI - CCI
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Oh I can get it to unroll and deliver properly. I can’t remember how we got around to this but I’m pretty sure it was an reply to Walter about adjusting the stroke to compensate for rod stiffness. And I said something along the lines of even having fished daily with this combination for 6 months, there were times when the flies would collide with the rod tip in the heat of the moment.

Maybe 6 months isn’t long enough to adapt but think that the underlying reason isn’t stroke adjustments but more to do with respective tip paths. In this cast to deliver such a leader we effectively “bounce” the rod. The bounce with the stiffer rod produces a straighter tip path hence the greater risk of collision.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Lasse, back then ~.20. Nowadays .18 or sometimes .16.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Thought you blamed the rod for causing the trouble, now you're saying its you 😉
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)

Return to “Flycasting Physics”