PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

What is ultimate fly line weight for your fly rod? Or what is the ultimate fly rod for your line? The goal is distance.

Moderator: Torsten

Lasse Karlsson
Answers: 0

Re: What is ultimate fly line weight for your fly rod? Or what is the ultimate fly rod for your line? The goal is distan

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Paul Arden wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:57 am Hi Lasse, back then ~.20. Nowadays .18 or sometimes .16.

Cheers, Paul
Ok, I think I have some old .18 in solar green somewhere, will use that.

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: What is ultimate fly line weight for your fly rod? Or what is the ultimate fly rod for your line? The goal is distan

Post by Paul Arden »

You can make it interesting by changing which fly you present and changing the distances from a couple of metres to 6 metres. But mostly work in the close range.
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Walter

Post by Walter »

RSalar wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:32 am
Walter wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:20 pm As for scientific proof - OYE. It has been given, repeated, regiven, restated, washed, rinsed, repeated ad nauseum.
False!

Lasse casting two rods is not scientific proof. Neither is a bunch of people arguing that "bend doesn't matter." There has been zero scientific proof presented (on either side). And your deflection (no pun intended) isn't helping the Bend Doesn't Matter school's case. If I'm the bend guy then you are the uncorroborated guy. :D

OYE BMMTYT,

Ron
IBG,

You have gotten your self lost in the pointless forest where a point in every direction is the same thing as no point at all.
"There can be only one." - The Highlander. :pirate:

PS. I have a flying tank. Your argument is irrelevant.

PSS. How to generate a climbing loop through control of the casting stroke is left as a (considerable) exercise to the reader.
RSalar

Post by RSalar »

Here is a question which, I think contains the answer to the ultimate question of: does bend matter?

Question: when a standard non- hauling cast is made. At what point is the fly line / rod tip going the fastest?

Answer: RSP (or a micro second prior to)

Question: what causes the rod to go from its MCL to RSP?

Answer: the rod hand stopped accelerating the rod. And the rod’s natural inclination to spring back to straight straightened the rod. This is the spring effect. (I’ll let the engineers provide the technical jargon)

Question: if the rod hand (ie muscle power input) has lessened or stopped, why does the rod tip continue to accelerate?

It continues to accelerate … ACCELERATE after the caster’s power has been lessened. How can this be?

Answer: ? I’ll let you bend doesn’t matter guys answer this one

Cheers Boys,

Ron, the bend guy
FFI - CCI
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

:D
FFi CCI
Walter

Post by Walter »

IBG,

Is that THE SPRING EFFECT (TSE)? Not just any spring effect but TSE? I thought that was the bow and arrow effect. Or was it the catapult effect? Golf club effect? The squirrel humping a chipmunk effect? I used to know what it was called.

Maybe the Mind Boggle Effect. :oh:

I had spaghetti tonite. Very messy without bend. :p SBM

Another point in another direction. :whistle:

PSS. How to generate a climbing loop through control of the casting stroke is left as a (considerable) exercise to the reader.
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

Hi Walter,

Interesting comment about your spaghetti. I had to return some bananas to the fruit shop yesterday, they were bent the wrong way.

Bend matters with bananas,

John
Walter

Post by Walter »

🤣🤣🤣

VGB

Post by VGB »

RSalar wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:40 pm Answer: ? I’ll let you bend doesn’t matter guys answer this one
They seek them here, they seek them there but Ron can’t find those Bend doesn’t matter guys anywhere.
Casting instruction - making simple things complicated since 1765

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Hi Ron

Question 1: OK, a few ms before RSP

Question 2: This is more than the spring effect; the inertial effect takes places from MCL to RSP. The rod reacts with its stiffness (spring) and its mass (whip). Its bending history depends on these parameters.

Question 3: at that time the rod tip decelerates and the line is gone. Max power corresponds to both max torque and max rotation speed, and takes place during the acceleration phase of rotation. The tip continues to accelerate during the decreasing phase of power application, and RSP is practically achieved for a nil value of power, at the end of this decreasing phase of power. I do not think you have the means to place these events along a time history.

Merlin
Fly rods are like women, they won't play if they're maltreated
Charles Ritz, A Flyfisher's Life

Return to “Flycasting Physics”