PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

The effect hauling has on line speed

Moderator: Torsten

RSalar
Answers: 0

The effect hauling has on line speed

Post by RSalar »

I attempted to search for this topic because I am sure it has been discussed hundreds times but there are too many hits to return any results. So, my question is: How much additional line speed and or distance is directly the result of the haul?

Thanks,

Ron
FFI - CCI
Merlin

Re: The effect hauling has on line speed

Post by Merlin »

Hi Ron

No idea about the final distance acheived, but you can get a speed increase similar to the maximum hauling speed developped by your line hand, and slightly more if the haul timing is well tuned.

And Yes, the subject has been heavily discussed. Instead of using the search function maybe you can just scroll the list of threads backwards and find proper titles.

Merlin
Fly rods are like women, they won't play if they're maltreated
Charles Ritz, A Flyfisher's Life
James9118

Post by James9118 »

I regularly practice casting one handed (i.e. one hand placed behind my back, not touching the line). With a #5 I can usually cast it this way out to ~110ft (my best is 117ft). If I add in the hauling hand with the same outfit I'll typically be in the 125-135ft region. [All casts in good conditions for distance]

James.
George C

Post by George C »

James9118 wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 12:07 pm I regularly practice casting one handed (i.e. one hand placed behind my back, not touching the line). With a #5 I can usually cast it this way out to ~110ft.
James.
Amazing :worthy:
Way out of my league but it suggests another way to work on improving (and a glaring need for improvement as well).
Thanks, James.

George
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Ron,

Since hauling directly increases line speed, whatever speed you can move the hand is the additional speed you give to the line. In fact to be precise, it is whatever speed you can separate the butt ring from the line hand, since hauling is the separation of these two points and not only the line hand moving.

We have a had a few measurements slightly on the low side of what I would have expected. I believe we had some at 10m/s and maybe the highest was 15m/s? (22 and 33mph respectively). To put that in comparison I seem to recall tip speed on a full blown 5WT distance cast is approaching 100mph.

Gordy did some excellent work in measuring some of mine and Lasse’s casts.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Paul Arden wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 1:06 pm I seem to recall tip speed on a full blown 5WT distance cast is approaching 100mph.

Cheers, Paul
Citation needed :whistle:

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
gordonjudd

Post by gordonjudd »

Since hauling directly increases line speed, whatever speed you can move the hand is the additional speed you give to the line.
Paul,
I think the effect on the line speed will be immediate, but the effect of haul speed on fly speed is far more complicated.

Since you are hauling through an intermediary spring, the speed on the separation of the hand will not immediately cause a direct increase in the fly speed since some of the energy from the haul will go into increasing the bend of the rod. Consequently the speed added to the fly depends on the tip speed as well as the speed of the haul.

The impact of the haul acceleration on the speed of the rod tip is complex, which makes the optimum timing of the haul a complicated subject.

I still don't understand the details of the analysis of the haul that Bill McGlinn included in his book "Physics of Fly Fishing_ Fly Cast Mechanics and Fly Fishing Optics" but he concludes his analysis with:
We see the largest effect from hauling is not the extra speed that is imparted by pulling the line down during the haul, but rather by the early loading of the rod by the haul.
Go figure.

Gordy
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

So in Daniels simulation you got that, cool. Any measured figures?

Cheers
Lasse

Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

gordonjudd wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 3:06 pm
Since hauling directly increases line speed, whatever speed you can move the hand is the additional speed you give to the line.
Paul,
I think the effect on the line speed will be immediate, but the effect of haul speed on fly speed is far more complicated.

Since you are hauling through an intermediary spring, the speed on the separation of the hand will not immediately cause a direct increase in the fly speed since some of the energy from the haul will go into increasing the bend of the rod. Consequently the speed added to the fly depends on the tip speed as well as the speed of the haul.

The impact of the haul acceleration on the speed of the rod tip is complex, which makes the optimum timing of the haul a complicated subject.

I still don't understand the details of the analysis of the haul that Bill McGlinn included in his book "Physics of Fly Fishing_ Fly Cast Mechanics and Fly Fishing Optics" but he concludes his analysis with:
We see the largest effect from hauling is not the extra speed that is imparted by pulling the line down during the haul, but rather by the early loading of the rod by the haul.
Go figure.

Gordy
Hi Gordy

So we know that the best distance casters haul after MCL, so the bend is in the last bit of rotating out of the rod, but Bill has it bending the rod earlier?

Will have to ask Ulrik what they have gotten of data on hauling...

It looks very much like the increase is instant though

Cheers
Lasse

Return to “Flycasting Physics”