PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Causes of tailing loops

Moderator: Torsten

VGB
Answers: 0

Re: Causes of tailing loops

Post by VGB »

No worries Graeme. Where I struggle with the trapped wave style theories is what mechanism regulates the wave speed such that they stay in place. I’ve had a couple of ideas but none of them stood up to much scrutiny when rubbed up against the real world.

Good luck for your assessment 👍

Regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Wrinkles are another example of a dragon travelling from loop front to fly under tension. Otherwise they would fly around the loop and appear in the rod leg.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Love this talk of things going around the loop, next someone is going to say the anchor loads the rod too 🤣

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
James9118

Post by James9118 »

Paul Arden wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:19 am I know he’s very much focused upon angular momentum.

Cheers, Paul
Hi Paul,

I wouldn't say I'm 'very much focussed on angular momentum' - I've mentioned it quite a bit in the past because it's often overlooked as something that needs to be considered, along with other aspects. I certainly think that certain observations that casters agree upon (and see routinely) can be explained, in part, by looking at the angular momentum.

It's clear to me from some comments that tension in a dynamic situation is not well understood, as Gordy states above. The conditions in the rod leg and the fly leg are very different and waves (if you want to call them that) will act differently according to whether they're put into one or the other.

James.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Thanks James. Would you call them waves?

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
James9118

Post by James9118 »

Paul Arden wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:54 am Thanks James. Would you call them waves?

Cheers, Paul
I'll go along with the consensus choice - it's only a name to me. If you're looking at simple 'classical' physic's definitions then an aerial mend in the rod leg clearly meets the 'wave' criteria and can be described in simple mathematical terms. Other disturbances, in other parts of the line, are less easily pigeon holed. The tension profile in the fly-leg is much more complex (and more variable) than the rod-leg, but I'm ok with a 'tail' being described as a wave whilst being aware of these tension complexities that will have a big affect on its propagation.

Cheers, James
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I personally prefer the term “dragon”. While the term is in use to describe a large mythical fire-breathing flying monster, it’s unlikely that anyone in their right mind would confuse that with a tailing loop. Wave just has too many other meanings.

Flycasting Definitions
Mangrove Cuckoo

Post by Mangrove Cuckoo »

Gentlemen,

I respectfully appreciate your willingness to educate me on my misunderstanding about tension in the legs. Once again I was befuddled by the "simplifying assumptions" inherent in my basic physics education.

This time it was in assuming a massless string, which is very similar to previous things like a massless spring, frictionless surface, perfectly spherical chicken, etc. :)

However, I am still unclear as to the difference between an early tail and a late one.
With appreciation and apologies to Ray Charles…

“If it wasn’t for AI, we wouldn’t have no I at all.”
James9118

Post by James9118 »

Hi Gary,

A late tail is one that 'appears' near, or in the leader of the cast. This is caused by a force application error early in the casting stroke (so what we describe as 'late' tails are in fact caused by an early error). Perhaps think about the rod tip speed - right at the start of the stroke the tip speed is low - thus any deviation in the lines direction from the intended (forward) one is also slow. Therefore the 'dip' or 'wave' or whatever you want to call it grows slowly and only intersects the rod leg late in the cast, by which time it has propagated down to near or in the leader.

Conversely an early tail appears near the rod tip. This is caused by a late error in the casting stroke (these are often the obvious tails that are performed when someone is asked to demonstrate a tailing loop). Because the rod tip is moving fast at the end of the stroke an error here also deviates the line at a high speed. Therefore the resultant dip/wave intersects with the rod leg faster, hence giving an early tail. (So an early tail is caused by a late error).

The observation that the amplitude of the tail grows comes from the complexity of the tension in the rod leg by the way - mends don't grow in the fly leg.

Hope that helps, James
Torsten

Post by Torsten »

I vote for "flying elephant".
Paul Arden wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:06 pm I personally prefer the term “dragon”. While the term is in use to describe a large mythical fire-breathing flying monster, it’s unlikely that anyone in their right mind would confuse that with a tailing loop. Wave just has too many other meanings.

Return to “Flycasting Physics”