PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Causes of tailing loops

Moderator: Torsten

Lasse Karlsson
Answers: 0

Re: Causes of tailing loops

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

:D
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

So tailing loops aren’t transverse waves any more? That’s wonderful. Gotta love physics! Gourami are less unpredictable. :laugh:
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
VGB

Post by VGB »

Before loop formation they are transverse waves, after loop formation depends…..
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

If loop formation for you means RSP then all tailing serpents happen as a result of something occurring before.
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
VGB

Post by VGB »

Loop formation for me is when the straight line being pulled by the rod overtakes the tip and forms a loop, I’m not bothered about rod shape at that point.
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

Mangrove Cuckoo

Post by Mangrove Cuckoo »

Paul Arden wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:31 pm The tension in fly leg usually is considered highest at the loop front and zero or close to zero at the fly, Vince, which would explain why tailing “waves” sometimes travel in the way they do.

Cheers, Paul
Um... its been a while but... isn't tension in something like a string constant at all points between the terminals?

And, if the loop is similar to a pulley, the tension is actually between the rod tip and the fly?

Ah... geez... now I gotta go back and prove to myself, once again, that I didn't pay enough attention in Physics 101!
With appreciation and apologies to Ray Charles…

“If it wasn’t for AI, we wouldn’t have no I at all.”
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

I’ve run out of time to make another video before I head out of town for a month, but Paul, I doubt physics has changed. So far there’s only one side of the discussion being presented. I have much more to discuss, but without a video of an experiment to demonstrate the concepts I want to present, there’s no point presenting them. It will only lead into more counterproductive discussion.

But I do think the original question about how they form has been answered.

Cheers, Graeme
FFi CCI
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

Mangrove Cuckoo wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:05 pm?

And, if the loop is similar to a pulley, the tension is actually between the rod tip and the fly?
The loop is not similar to a pulley.
FFi CCI
VGB

Post by VGB »

Mangrove Cuckoo wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:05 pm Um... its been a while but... isn't tension in something like a string constant at all points between the terminals?
Only if the string is massless which is a simplifying assumption that’s dragged a lot of discussions down a rabbit hole. I note Graeme’s wish to continue the discussion but I suggest that the thread is moved to the physics forum because it’s moved away from teaching.

The methods that an instructor would use to change the behaviour of a lifelong tailer is a more fitting follow up to the tip path discussion imo.

Regards

Vince

Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

VGB wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:38 am ...I suggest that the thread is moved to the physics forum because it’s moved away from teaching.

The methods that an instructor would use to change the behaviour of a lifelong tailer is a more fitting follow up to the tip path discussion imo.

Regards

Vince
Both are good ideas.
FFi CCI

Return to “Flycasting Physics”