PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Simplified Casting Physics Document

Moderator: Torsten

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

I'd like to see both. Simple explanations with accurate analogies that you and I can get to grips with, with more information that can be followed for those with a more technical background. It needs to be done. I do feel that I'm in a position where I can take complicated physical understandings and translate them into something that fits with the normal mind. However I have to understand it first, which is often a problem.

And then of course the physicists don't always agree, which is another problem again. But that only makes it all the more interesting in my opinion. I actually think a physics document for the normal man will do a lot of good for the physicists too.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Stu Jamieson
Answers: 0

Post by Stu Jamieson »

^ Agreed. :)

On disagreeing physicists: ultimately the more correct of competing physics solutions is less important than the model which best advances the abilities of the caster. Usually (possibly even always), maths and science presents more than one way to skin a cat. It just depends on how you frame the problem. The best solution is the one which most easily arrives at the correct answer, confirmed by observation.
Alan s

Post by Alan s »

I think it's a great idea, because sometimes I have not got a clue what you are all talking about. :yeahhh:
:blush:
Alan
Carl Phillip Emanuel

Post by Carl Phillip Emanuel »

Stu Jamieson wrote:^ Agreed. :)

On disagreeing physicists: ultimately the more correct of competing physics solutions is less important than the model which best advances the abilities of the caster. Usually (possibly even always), maths and science presents more than one way to skin a cat. It just depends on how you frame the problem. The best solution is the one which most easily arrives at the correct answer, confirmed by observation.
Stu,

May I point you to a slight contradiction in your post? "the model which best advances the abilities of the caster" doesn't have to be the same as the best solution "which most easily arrives at the correct answer, confirmed by observation". In fact it rarely is, as you can see if you think about throwing a ball and quantum physics (the correct answer to kinetics of matter) plus general theory of relativity (the correct answer to gravity forces).

I would like to see a document which does not give a damn on teaching, since this is not just another endeavor, it has to be founded on the theory. TW Adorno once said: "There is no way of living a false life correctly". I would interpret it as "There is no way of teaching a false theory correctly".

Any ideas for the outline of the document?

Cheers, Norbert
Mike Heritage

Post by Mike Heritage »

Is there anything happening with this. Has a physicists sub committee been set up and working behind the scene definitions style? If so are they still talking to each other?

Mike
It's fly casting Jim, but not as we Know it.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Yes, yes but that didn't work, and no :p
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
VGB

Post by VGB »

Paul Arden wrote:Yes, yes but that didn't work, and no :p

Why not let them come up with their own individual interpretations and let the forum vote on the individual submissions, like a reality show. Then the one with the biggest tits would win :p
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Walter

Post by Walter »

Paul Arden wrote:Yes, yes but that didn't work, and no :p
Out of morbid curiousity, who were the members of this secret cabal :ninja: and how were they chosen? Did you get some of the highly qualified people with PhDs in physics and years of application and research behind them that frequent SL involved?
"There can be only one." - The Highlander. :pirate:

PS. I have a flying tank. Your argument is irrelevant.

PSS. How to generate a climbing loop through control of the casting stroke is left as a (considerable) exercise to the reader.
Tom Benson

Re: Simplified Casting Physics Document

Post by Tom Benson »

Has the " Cabal ", decided to allow the publication of ; Simplified Casting physics Document ?
In this horrid period of Co 2 infection .....would be nice to have a ' proper ' assessment of .....How to fly cast properly .
Tom
Bianchetti Ivan

Re: Simplified Casting Physics Document

Post by Bianchetti Ivan »

Perhaps it is easier to have a document that indicates what are the errors in reading our eyes and sensations.

Return to “Flycasting Physics”