PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Simplified Casting Physics Document

Moderator: Torsten

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Yes that's exactly why it's "rod loading", Bernd. Any time I hear those words my head is filled with alarm bells.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Marc Fauvet
Answers: 0

Post by Marc Fauvet »

Marc Fauvet wrote: otherwise it's just become a big mess :D
Btw I think the term rod loading is a bad term to use since it automatically makes people think we store lots of energy in the LOADED rod in order to achieve the desired line speed.
I prefer rod bending to be explained as being the consequance of rotating the rod. I avoid "loading" and this seems to do a much beter job for most.
Greets
Bernd
see ?... :D :D :D
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

Please try to find some qualified physicists to participate. Casters describing the physics of casting will be like car drivers describing automobile engineering.

We seem to be good at discussing the experience, but not so good at distilling the physics of the cast.

cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
VGB

Post by VGB »

I think it should be called "The not so technical as the technical analysis forum". If you let a poet name it, he'd call it "Archimedes Corner" but everyone knows that the eureka moment could not have happened because scientists don't take baths :kungfu:
Casting instruction - making simple things complicated since 1765

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Snake Pliskin

Post by Snake Pliskin »

Graeme H wrote:Please try to find some qualified physicists to participate. Casters describing the physics of casting will be like car drivers describing automobile engineering.

We seem to be good at discussing the experience, but not so good at distilling the physics of the cast.

cheers,
Graeme
Totally agree. People will still argue though, and I suppose they should, as long as the arguments have some kind of reasoning behind them, and not the usual straw man crap.
Any modern day Richard Feynman types out there who dig Flyfishing?
Stoatstail50

Post by Stoatstail50 »

Following up on a few conversations that I have had over the last few weeks, I think that your average lurker, the great unregistered, but regular, readers of the board are fed up to the back fkn teeth with Physics and all the personal hoo ha that goes with it on here. Is introducing a third public forum section for sythesising these arguments going to reduce the opportunity for these spats to flare up or increase it ?

These arguments are not promoting that sense of well being or reflect the simple pleasure that fishing affords most anglers, they want to be in a happy place, not somewhere where someone is metaphorically ripping someone elses throat out because they don't understand when or where CoM may or may not be applied.

I happen to be an interested amateur but generally the feedback from people who are out on the water rather than perched on a stool in the classroom is that the subject, and the manner in which it is discussed, is a collosal turn off and they are coming on to the forum less and less as a consequence. There are no doubt many experienced instructors who feel the same way and consequently post less and less on the board or not at all.

If we want to deal with these issues in a reasonably orderly way can I suggest that first we decide who the target audience is and then ask suitably qualified board members to prepare an explanation of a particular subject aimed at that audience. That paper can then be privately reviewed by a selected group of equally suitably qualified editors, the same people if necessary. Anything to avoid that review process taking place in public will be to the advantage of the board in general in my opinion.
Casting Definitions

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
bebob

Post by bebob »

As a fully qualified paid up lurker I heartily agree, private review is essential and if someone disagrees with what is published it should be published in a separate thread for all to read if they feel so inclined.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

We can certainly do it privately. My thinking was that I could bring some decorum to the physics discussions on the Board by giving them what I originally thought would be a rather simple task - and moderating it. Unfortunately some of the feedback I have had is that the physics of flycasting is too complicated to be simple, which is a little bit alarming! Based on that I'm not sure which was to go, but it is something that needs doing.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
andrewparkeruk

Post by andrewparkeruk »

Does understanding the Physics of casting help someone to cast better; do they just have to get out there and do it?
(Out in the world there are people who say: "I don't practice my casting in case I'm ingraining a bad habit")
I don't understand Physics: please will you produce also a "Simplified Introduction to Physics" to accompany the Casting document :whistle:

Andrew
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I don't think it matters if it helps anyone cast better (it does some actually). I just think it's interesting to understand it

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Flycasting Physics”