PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Blooming of the Tisza

Forum for discussing fisheries conservation and other environmental issues related to fish, wildlife, watersheds, and aquatic ecosystems.

Moderators: Harps, mattklara

petevicar
Answers: 0

Blooming of the Tisza

Post by petevicar »

I hope this is the right place for this.

Thanks Akos for a great film.

The shots of the mayflies in flight are fantastic.
IANACI
flyfisher666

Blooming of the Tisza

Post by flyfisher666 »

Nice!
What sort of fish is that at 5:38?

//Joakim
Ré_

Blooming of the Tisza

Post by Ré_ »

Thanks!
The fish is Pelecus cultratus, called garda in Hungarian.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pelecus_cultratus
Will

Blooming of the Tisza

Post by Will »

Yep, lovely film Akos.

Love the ide! (Think they're ide? The ones with the red fins.)

W.
Lineslinger
Barrio Pro-team
SGAIC
AAPGAI

"The only advice it is necessary to give the angler… is to avoid any approach to foppery, as trout have the most thorough contempt for a fop…”
WC Stewart
Ré_

Blooming of the Tisza

Post by Ré_ »

Yes, they are. But some of the asp have red fins also. There seem to be two subspecies of asp, the ones with the red fins and the others with the grey ones. The latter fight harder.
skeg

Blooming of the Tisza

Post by skeg »

petevicar wrote:I hope this is the right place for this.

Thanks Akos for a great film.

The shots of the mayflies in flight are fantastic.
Pete, we were positively shocked, when we've seen the first clips on the camera. That flight scenes were magical, really.
...It was quite hard to get mayflies in the right focus without any camera support and with a heavy lens...but I believe the shallow DOF is part of the magic in this case. And the movements are in real time. no slow down.
They were using the breeze to sail, barely flickering with their wings.
Viking Lars

Blooming of the Tisza

Post by Viking Lars »

I concur - great movie, Akos! The P. longicauda is a magnificent insect. I've never seen it in real life, but I think I need to come down some day, just to witness this hatch. If only there were trout in that river :-).

It's amazing to see that the P. longicauda is in fact big enough to glide through the air like a bird. The Danica can't even do this :-).

Lars
Ré_

Blooming of the Tisza

Post by Ré_ »

If any of you are interested you are welcome! The hatch is an event in itself, also without fishing. What you can see on the video wasn't so dramatic, last year the hatch was much stronger. They literally darken the sky... :asleep:
The only problem is you can't predict when they will hatch. The peak is only 2-3 day, with the first mayflies starting to fly 4-5 days before the peak. If a cold front comes, they stop. Last year everyone thought it is already over and a couple of days later, from nothing 2 days of very strong hatch. So if you hear the call, throw away everything and rush to the river!
On the other side they start to hatch in the south part of the Tisza (because of the water temperature) and the hatch goes to the north, so it last around 2 weeks on the whole river.
Ivica

Blooming of the Tisza

Post by Ivica »

Realy great video Akos!!
Bernd Ziesche

Blooming of the Tisza

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

Great stuff. Those hatches make each fish count double! :p
Cheers
Bernd