PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Souring - Gary’s FP

Forum for discussing fisheries conservation and other environmental issues related to fish, wildlife, watersheds, and aquatic ecosystems.

Moderators: Harps, mattklara

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Souring - Gary’s FP

Post by Paul Arden »

http://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/souring

I read this only today - I was down the lake the last few days. It’s something I’ve been thinking about a lot over the past few years.

I think we are at the end of an era. We’re very lucky to still encounter some fishing. But over-population, greed and lack of forward thinking paints a bleak picture for the future.

Unfortunately I don’t see a solution happening. It always was better and it will always be worse. It could be different of course but it will take a complete change in how we live - and it will most probably take a cataclysmic event for that to happen.

The root problem is us. I was born in 1970 when the word’s population was a mere 3.5 billion. In my lifetime it has doubled. What do we expect? There are twice as many of us and we each make more impact than we did back then. It doesn’t take a genius to figure out that we are the problem.

Wilderness is now “parks”. There is little left in the ocean because we’ve either eaten it, fed it to farmed fish or used it as fertiliser. If the fishing is not tightly “managed” it is under threat. And even managed fisheries are often being managed in decline.

Our world “leaders” are self-centric, petulant and war-mongering. The people who vote for them have their minds controlled by news agencies, TV and Facebook. If there was another world we could escape to then I’m sure we would go, but there isn’t.

Basically we are heading into a hole and there is very little any of us can do about it.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Daily Planet”