PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Redds and close seasons.

Forum for discussing fisheries conservation and other environmental issues related to fish, wildlife, watersheds, and aquatic ecosystems.

Moderators: Harps, mattklara

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Redds and close seasons.

Post by Paul Arden »

An excellent page from Mika http://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/l ... m-children

How does it work where you are? When I grew up in the UK in Essex you couldn’t fish for trout after 31sr October through to April 1st. With rainbow trout that changed to open all year and the close season for coarse fish has all but disappeared. I think that this was a big push from coarse anglers.

Here in Malaysia the fishing is open all year.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
VGB
Answers: 0

Redds and close seasons.

Post by VGB »

Depends on the river, the Avon is April to March but I usually don’t do much until late June and wrap up about the New Year, apart from the odd trip for pike. My little trout stream is April to September.
Casting instruction - making simple things complicated since 1765

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Redds and close seasons.

Post by Paul Arden »

The demise of the Coarse fishing close season was very bad news for fly fishing in the UK. When I was a youth (I’m still a youth but more yobbish back then)... when I was a yob and had a job in the Ardleigh fishing lodge April- June 20th would see many coarse anglers come fly fishing and it was one way in for them to take up the game for the rest of the season. No doubt this loss of revenue has badly affected the reservoirs.

I’ve always found the lack of a close season for trout, where that exists, as being poor form - no doubt because I grew up with these close seasons. Catching spawning fish is definitely not the “done thing”.

Here in Malaysia, consequently, I had a deep reservation about catching nursing parent Snakehead. However I’ve always paid attention to how they go back and have watched them return to their families after a “fishing encounter”. So that’s ok. :)

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
VGB

Redds and close seasons.

Post by VGB »

I go by instinct when to stop and if the river feels “tired” for want of a better word, I’ll pack up before the end of the season. A break of a couple of months is good because I get lots of the domestic jobs done, so that the fishing season is clear.
Casting instruction - making simple things complicated since 1765

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Boisker

Redds and close seasons.

Post by Boisker »

Hey Paul... the closed season still remains for all coarse fish in England on rivers- 15th March to 15th June, but doesn’t apply to most still waters.
I always pay attention to conditions... i pretty much stopped fishing through the whole of August as the rivers were so low and warm in the SW, I did still fish the Frome as that obviously stayed cooler being spring fed.

Return to “Daily Planet”