PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Climate Change

Forum for discussing fisheries conservation and other environmental issues related to fish, wildlife, watersheds, and aquatic ecosystems.

Moderators: Harps, mattklara

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Climate Change

Post by Paul Arden »

What is it with people, who are not scientists incidentally, “denying” that there is climate change or that it is possible that we are responsible? Where do they get their information? :???:

I find the world staggering. I only keep these friends on social media because some are actually friends, but more than that it’s nice to see what other people think, even if it is highly disturbing.

I have no idea what you even say to people who are like this.

I even have some friends who think Trump is a good man and the best president yet, others who think Brexit is a fantastic idea, and others - probably the same people actually - who think the world is flat and fairies live in the trees :p

Just staggering!!!

I might be becoming an old fart but at least I hope to keep my marbles :laugh:

But back to the original point; I find it remarkable that this exists. Is this the future? If that’s what the connectivity of the Internet is going to become then isn’t it about time that social media platforms provided totally unbiased news? I’m not sure that’s even possible but there has to be a way through this fog. I’m not optimistic!

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Viking Lars
Answers: 0

Re: Climate Change

Post by Viking Lars »

Are you sure this is a good can of worms to open :-)? What can I say - there are flatearthers all around the globe (!!!) and plenty of people powering their electric engines with diesel generators.

I unfortunately lost the reference, but I once read an article that stated (maybe even proved) that people are more liable to believe something that fits with their own perception rather than something scientifically proven.

As for the fairies - if they're not in the trees, where are they? I hope mermaids are still underwater and dragons guard treasure hoards :-).
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Come on, the world is flat, there where more bison than there are cattle, the rod is a big spring, the more it cost the better a spring it is, Its ok to bully 16 year olds and claim Its all a scam, and the anchor does load the rod...

Or does it?

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Geenomad

Post by Geenomad »

Having heard and read the denialist guff for several decades I have concluded that they are people beyond persuasion and, frankly, unworthy of engagement. Their position is based on belief rather than reason. We can speculate and psychoanalyse about the bases and causes of that belief but I don't know what purpose any of that serves. Clearly, however, they have a huge investment in and commitment to, denial. It reminds me of tobacco companies denying that smoking causes cancer and that nicotine is a highly addictive substance.

Their positions and justifications change only to maintain their belief. They retreat and regroup in the face of manifest evidence. It's not happening. If it is happening it is due to some "natural" cycle. The observable consequences are all natural and normal phenomena. There is nothing we can do about any of it. There will be no end game where they say "sorry we were wrong".

Cheers
Mark
"The line of beauty is the result of perfect economy." R. W. Emerson.
https://thecuriousflycaster.com
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

I've mainly given up trying to teach people online about why climate change is real and dangerous. Face to face, though, I have a lot more success. "Keyboard warriors" lose their bravery when faced with some knowledge of the science and it's discussed in a logical and reasonable manner.

It's too easy for groups with an agenda to buy opinions. This guy did some good research in three videos on how social media is being manipulated and it helps explain your question Paul.

He's also researching how whips work, but I'm waiting on the published paper before diving too deeply. It has a lot of overlap with casting a fly line.

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
Limpe Iven

Post by Limpe Iven »

Paul Arden wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:16 pm

But back to the original point; I find it remarkable that this exists. Is this the future? If that’s what the connectivity of the Internet is going to become then isn’t it about time that social media platforms provided totally unbiased news? I’m not sure that’s even possible but there has to be a way through this fog. I’m not optimistic!

Cheers, Paul
There's more people who fight this matter, or at least bringing it up.
Not quite on the climate change subject, on point about the social media platforms.

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

That first video is not currently working for me Graeme, I’ll try again later. Thanks Limpe that certainly worked!

By the way if hasn’t seen “The Great Hack” I think they should watch it and it should be mandatory before they are allowed to vote!

Truth is I suppose this type of person has always existed; it’s just now he is given a platform. A largely unmoderated platform.

There are shared “adverts” saying that climate change is not manmade. I would like to know where these come from. Manipulating large swathes of people is not free speech; it’s manipulation!

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Still can’t see your video Graeme.

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Interesting video Graeme, thanks for sharing!

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Thanks Graeme. Finally got to watch them!

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Daily Planet”