PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Fish Intelligence

Forum for discussing fisheries conservation and other environmental issues related to fish, wildlife, watersheds, and aquatic ecosystems.

Moderators: Harps, mattklara

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Fish Intelligence

Post by Paul Arden »

This is a good article/read.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish_intelligence

(I ended up here while researching Gourami).

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
whinging pom
Answers: 0

Re: Fish Intelligence

Post by whinging pom »

You’re right that was a good read!!
The Duffer of the Brook !

Nothing is Impossible: :???: I do Nothing everyday .
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Hadn’t read that in a while. Interesting to note that bowfin males create a distraction by thrashing at the surface when their young are in danger. The first time I saw snakehead doing this I wasn’t sure that I was really witnessing this behaviour. Since then I’ve seen it a few times.

Flycasting Definitions
whinging pom

Post by whinging pom »

It’s a shame that wiki presented it as ‘fish’ as a ( sorry can’t think of a better term) ‘catch all’description in the text to then highlight some behaviour trait or neural function that certain species had developed specifically and exclusively, was not common actually amongst all fish species.
I may have been over critical but it felt like the contributors, despite mentioning the individual species as example were trying to sensationalise us into thinking most fish had these wonderful extra attribute’s .

Sadly I don’t think the day will come that I’ll walk down to the brook and all the trout will recognise me as the guy who does the habitat work , come up to the surface and wink and smile at me in Disney fashion.

But then maybe all the daddy snakeheads will join together and seek out the battle ship and that barstool with a beard who upsets the babies . And they’ll be waiting for you in a very un- Disney fashion!

Oh good luck with the swim training Paul ., hope it going well😂
Pom

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

The swim training still terrifies me :laugh: I don’t know what will happen if/when I accidentally swim into a set of babies. A couple of days ago I found a juvenile snakehead sheltering under the back of the boat. It was certainly very curious about me. 100 curious babies and two aggressive adults is certainly going to affect my stroke rate.

Giant Gourami have intelligence. I don’t know how to quantify it, but what I find notable about this is that I don’t normally use this term when describing fish. Indeed it’s never a term I would apply. Gouramis are well known for being able to identify different people. What got me curious about them was the “Day of the 5 minute refusal”. Imagine a trout looking at your static fly for over 5 minutes! That’s totally unthinkable to me.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Here is another interesting thing. Quite often I’ve watched trout swim up the fly line, see me, and spook. Hundreds of times this has happened, mostly sight fishing lakes. Gourami on the other hand will swim up the line, look at me, swim back down the line, look at the fly, and repeat, sometimes multiple times. WTF?? :D

Flycasting Definitions
alanj

Post by alanj »

Imagine a trout looking at your static fly for over 5 minutes!
It's a staring contest. I stare at my fly, the fish stares at my fly. No one blinks ....
Cheers
Alan

bad and getting worse :blush:
whinging pom

Post by whinging pom »

alanj wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:15 am
Imagine a trout looking at your static fly for over 5 minutes!
It's a staring contest. I stare at my fly, the fish stares at my fly. No one blinks ....
It sounds less like; Minor Tactics for the chalk stream and more like with The Good The Bad and the Ugly !!
( im not going to second guess who has which role)

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I’ll be the Ugly :cool:

Flycasting Definitions
whinging pom

Post by whinging pom »

Paul Arden wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 2:36 pm I’ll be the Ugly :cool:
Of course you will.. he was the one that got shot! :D
Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez he was called … try getting that printed on the side of your personalised hot torpedo! Actually that would look cool :cool:

I watched that film again recently, my gawd it was slow!
Pom

Return to “Daily Planet”