PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Lock down days!

Forum for discussing fisheries conservation and other environmental issues related to fish, wildlife, watersheds, and aquatic ecosystems.

Moderators: Harps, mattklara

piffilus
Answers: 0

Re: Lock down days!

Post by piffilus »

Lars - It most certainly is Jarra wood from Australia. And I hand ripped and cut it to fit it to the parcel. I think I spent almost ten minutes just ripping it, breaking a good sweat. I might as well show the Silky saw handle I made of the same wood.
20200207_212430.jpg
I hope you get some nice handles out of your pieces mate!

Cheers, Piffen
Boisker

Post by Boisker »

Well that’s the U.K. properly locked down.... only allowed out to shop/medical supplies and to exercise once a day...
Geenomad

Post by Geenomad »

Viking Lars wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:51 pm Hey Mark!

This lock down thread can be whatever we want it to - doesn't have to be fly fishing related :-). Now that you say it, I actually think the wood I got from Piffen was jarra. Brown, very hard, not highly figured, seems quite oily?
Hi Lars
Replied late last night after a long day recommissioning the gym. Proper spelling is jarrah. Very common when I was a kid and was used for things like driveway edging because of its rot resistance. Later in my 30s I built furniture with it. By then it was getting expensive. Haven't bought any recently.

Here's a pic. Took a while to work out how to do the link thing. You can see the ageing process. The large piece is an offcut from a coffee table top made in about 1990. I ran the plane over the bottom edge so you can see what the raw timber looks like. The knife I made in the 70s. It originally had a bone handle which I replaced about 20 years ago. It's not a work of art but it is a great tool built for a purpose and to fit my hand. Handle colour is the product of age patina, tung oil and general hand grease, dirt and stuff that happens with hunting knives. It's still scary sharp.

Aside from the looks, jarrah has a distinct "feel" and it is heavy - like lead is to sheet metal Jarrah is to pine. :D

Cheers
Mark

"The line of beauty is the result of perfect economy." R. W. Emerson.
https://thecuriousflycaster.com
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

It looks quite similar to a hardwood we have where in Malaysia. I’m not too sure of the name but here is some ‘driftwood’ we found.
Attachments
E1DC7D2E-813D-49C3-8C3A-1E130526D112.jpeg
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
petevicar

Post by petevicar »

I will be building a few fly rods.
IANACI
jarmo
Answers: 1

Post by jarmo »

Graeme H wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:31 pm
jarmo wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:49 pm Instead, MCI training (just returned from the lawn),....
Even that is now on hold to some extent. :(

My test in early November is "suspended", while most of the FFi testing events before that have been cancelled.
Consistent with the marathon approach: just like the olympics, in my mind everything I would call an "event" is postponed until 2021.

If you would be ready in November, you will blow their minds 6 months later. :D

Are you part of a group as far as preparing for the MCI is concerned? Want to form one online? (I am already working with a CI candidate online.)
Viking Lars

Post by Viking Lars »

Right - Piffen, thanks for chiming in, I did seem to remember it was jarrah (with an *h* :-).

And thanks Mark - it does look very similar to that fresh cut of yours, and of course, Piffen has confirmed. It'll be interesting to to try working with it.

Lars
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

jarmo wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:22 pm If you would be ready in November, you will blow their minds 6 months later. :D

Are you part of a group as far as preparing for the MCI is concerned? Want to form one online? (I am already working with a CI candidate online.)
Thought I'd blow their minds the first time I took the test. ;) Nah, I'm not that vain.

I'm very isolated here in Perth, so any interaction is good. I'll be honoured to join your online MCI group. Send me an email on graeme.hird@gmail.com

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Our lockdown is extended now until mid April. I’m going to have to go to town for supplies at some point - this is the dodgy part because there are army road blocks and I don’t want to get stuck there. I know a remote place where from time to time Internet kicks in. It’s where I had my biggest Snakehead. If the world is going to end I think this is where I’d like to be :D I reckon in a couple of days I shall attempt this and disappear there with a month of provisions. More of a lock out than a lock down. I definitely won’t be bothered there that’s for sure. And then life for me at least will be back to normal.

I believe my sister has it by the way. Which is not good since she is due to give birth in 2 weeks time. By all accounts however she will not be the first to give birth under CV and mother and baby should be fine. So fingers crossed for that.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Viking Lars

Post by Viking Lars »

Our lock has also been extended until Easter - and further extensions could be coming. We might also be adviced against (maybe even forcved not to) travel between regions of the country...

Lars

Return to “Daily Planet”