PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Lock down days!

Forum for discussing fisheries conservation and other environmental issues related to fish, wildlife, watersheds, and aquatic ecosystems.

Moderators: Harps, mattklara

Graeme H
Answers: 0

Re: Lock down days!

Post by Graeme H »

jarmo wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:49 pm Instead, MCI training (just returned from the lawn),....
Even that is now on hold to some extent. :(

My test in early November is "suspended", while most of the FFi testing events before that have been cancelled.
FFi CCI
Viking Lars

Post by Viking Lars »

Just for the record - if, and I underline if, I were to stock pile anything, it certainly wouldn't be loo paper (I can stick my arse under the shower - most people can't it seems), nor will it be canned food or dried spaghetti. Nope - dishwashing soap, dammit - imagine having to wash up manually after getting used to a dish washer... That's something I'd like to avoid :-).

Lars
Viking Lars

Post by Viking Lars »

Piffen - I started cutting a piece off that wood yesterday, just with a handsaw. I quickly gave up and ordered that bandsaw I've wanted to years. Christ, that's hard wood :-).

Lars
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Loo roll is not one of those commodities required in Malaysia either. Toilets either come equipped with a hose or a bucket of water. My boat has a hose - all mod cons on the Battleship. :) In Malaysia TP is for drying, not wiping. Much cleaner!

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Geenomad

Post by Geenomad »

Lars. Don't want to turn this into the woodwork forum but if you are looking for knife handles, effective or exotic, you might see if you can source some jarra. Comes from Graeme's home state of Western Australia. Seriously hard without a propensity to splinter and a beautiful red colour that ages nicely. One of the two surviving knives I made way back when has a jarra handle. I didn't go for highly figured grain. The straighter grain is hard enough on edge tools!

Cheers
Mark
"The line of beauty is the result of perfect economy." R. W. Emerson.
https://thecuriousflycaster.com
Viking Lars

Post by Viking Lars »

Hey Mark!

This lock down thread can be whatever we want it to - doesn't have to be fly fishing related :-). Now that you say it, I actually think the wood I got from Piffen was jarra. Brown, very hard, not highly figured, seems quite oily?

Piffen - was it jarra?

Lars
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I think we should talk about woodwork :cool:

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Flycasting Definitions
Limpe Iven

Post by Limpe Iven »

Not woodwork , no knives, not even flyfish related but maybe some inspiration;
Compressed leather, aluminum, shaped on lathe, we also tried a version with bone but the smell while shaping was disturbing..

Business as usual during the non-official curfew over here, tying, finally time to service some flyreels, but most of the time isolated in a garage, practiced some casting but too much cold wind last weekend.. Woeking normal hours since we are in the logistics service, that business seems to explode with online orders and re-stocking toilet paper in supermarkets.

Oh, and playing " don't stand so close to me" from The Police all day :D
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

As part of my lockdown I’ve confined myself to the jungle. Now technically the army might try to get me to leave. We will play that one by ear if or when it happens. But I’m happy to be locked down in the jungle. In fact it’s perfect.

Unfortunately I’ve run out of essentials such as beer. Fortunately however I have one bottle of wine and the “guests’ drinks cabinet“ of one bottle of Bacardi, another of Tequila (I even have some limes!) and (now) half a bottle of Vodka. So I’m more in danger of alcohol poisoning than CV.

Jungle Juice (what is that, you wonder?) I have about 4-5 days of supplies and I’m searching trees with binoculars for more.

Food - oh yeah food - I have some. Can probably eat for a week to ten days. More if I head into the jungle looking for... well jungle food.

Petrol - hah! Probably about 250 litres!!! 2T hmmm that’s the problem. Not quite enough for the amount of fuel I have. But not that far off either :cool: And I can always fashion a paddle out of bamboo. it’s been done before!

So come Armageddon I reckon I’m good. I hope that comes as peace of mind to all of you because I know how much you worry about me :p One thing is for sure, CV is the least of my concerns right now.

What I’m looking for is a central SL operations base with good internet and good fishing that is invisible to the army. Actually that’s given me an idea if someone to call... :cool:

Stay safe and if this thing mutates to be a fly fisher killer then put Magic Heads on your flies or use a brick on a string flylines / shooting heads. :ninja:

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Daily Planet”