PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

making diesel from plastic

Forum for discussing fisheries conservation and other environmental issues related to fish, wildlife, watersheds, and aquatic ecosystems.

Moderators: Harps, mattklara

t.z.
Answers: 0

making diesel from plastic

Post by t.z. »

your next project Paul? ...
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: making diesel from plastic

Post by Paul Arden »

A miniaturised portable machine would be a good idea.
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
James9118
Answers: 0

Post by James9118 »

Just burn it as it is - no extra refining. Burnt at high enough temperatures, i.e. within incinerators, the toxic by-products are minimal and the heat produced can be converted to electricity as in any other thermal plant.
It should be illegal (globally) to send any plastic to landfill. Unfortunately to get to this state the great uneducated need to accept that incinerators are great for the environment - this message is not getting through at all.

James
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Here in Malaysia it’s very common for plastic waste to be burned in open fires outdoors on the road sides. It smells awful. I do like the idea of turning the plastic into diesel oil. Just think when sailing around the world, if a mini convertor was possible, I could refill the diesel tanks and clean the oceans at the same time. The Maldives was such a disappointment to me. It’s basically a massive garbage dump in paradise. How practical would it be to miniaturise the operation and make it portable? Online they look to be industrial sized operations.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Daily Planet”