PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

A plea from a visitor

chuns
Answers: 0

A plea from a visitor

Post by chuns »

I think this is the right place for me, for although my wife and I have been trout, sea trout, and salmon fishing throughout the UK and Ireland for around forty years, the nature of my question means I probably belong here, but please redirect me if my assumption is wrong.

We are coming to New Zealand for a month in March, renting a motorhome and endeavouring to see as much as possible. (Not long enough, I hear you saying, but it is what we can afford as part of our retirement celebrations) The fanciful notion I had was that we would stop off in likely locations, and do a spot of fishing, either for the sheer pleasure, or for the pan. We are not looking for large fish. This idea came from a friend who did just that, around 30 years ago, but I rather think things have changed!

I have skimmed through Paul’s guide, (I love the idea of trying to decode all the xxxxxs) and got the message loud and clear that you have got to do a bit of exploring and hiking, maybe taking a day or two. Trouble is, we won’t have “days or two”, nor indeed will we be able to do much rough hiking – arthritis and other ailments have put paid to that idea. Whilst I get the “when I get too lazy (or unable) to walk in, I will simply stop going” philosophy (and that may well apply to those of you have had years of sport); would you deny a visitor the chance to fish your famous waters? And I could observe that some UK waters, albeit heavily managed, have parts of the bank accessible to wheelchair users, one old chap I have heard of still casts a fly in his nineties!

So, given that we are not intending to plunder, and are not looking for trophy fish, and would not give secrets away, would anybody be prepared to give us an idea of how we might realise the dream by sharing some local knowledge. I understand the reluctance to do so publicly, so a PM, or direct email would be so gratefully received. I guess the next thing you might need is an idea of our itinerary, so if anybody is willing to help, that’ll be the next step.

Sadly, I would have to take the decision not to buy a pair of multi-piece rods should I be unable to promise my wife at least a couple of evening’s fishing. I’ll be mightily upset if we find the treasured spot by accident, and no tackle!!

Hoping somebody will respond to this plea,

Kind regards

Peter
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

A plea from a visitor

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Peter, I'll PM you or email you tonight with a few ideas. On a river at the moment. Sounds like a fun trip. Only rivers or lakes too?

Cheers Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
chuns

A plea from a visitor

Post by chuns »

Thanks for such a prompt reply!

Our itinerary with major points on it is as follows, though I am planning lots of quick stops on the way, is from Auckland up to Northland, then down to Coromandel, to Waitomo, then Taupo, up to Rotorua, across eastward, then down via Rere Falls etc to Havelock North where we have a friend who I taught to fish, and still uses rods I made for him umpty-dumpty years ago. Then down to the ferry, and into Picton, a bit of pootling about there, though probably not into Abel Tasman, down to Kaikoura, then across to the west coast, not sure which pass, south and then in towards Queenstown, via Arrowtown, round to Milford Sound if we have time, thence Lake Tekapo, then Akaroa, Christchurch and home. There will be a bit of flexibility, natch. This will be for the whole of March.

We both prefer "seen fish" dry fly, nymphs and buzzer fishing on streams, but will be happy and privileged to do anything that presents itself!
Paul Arden
Site Admin

A plea from a visitor

Post by Paul Arden »

One month is tight for two islands but certainly doable. Most people recommend spending more time in the South. My north island info is a little sketchy now but the South should still be valid. Incidentally virtually every stretch of water you can see in NZ has some sort of fishing going on. It's more about how than where but I'll send you a few if my preferred spots.

What size motor home are you renting?

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
chuns

A plea from a visitor

Post by chuns »

Hi, again,

We're having a 7metre Escape 2 MH from Wilderness.

Oh, and I should have said in response to your query about lake or stream, that if it is for pleasure we prefer barbless dry/nymph, but if it is to "get a fish" to go with the wine, then we'll happily dredge lakes with whatever is topical.

Cheers

P
Paul Arden
Site Admin

A plea from a visitor

Post by Paul Arden »

The lake edges are best with dry/nymph. It's 99% sight fishing. Cruising browns are around 3lb average. I should be able to recommend some camping spots too.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

A plea from a visitor

Post by Paul Arden »

It will be tomorrow night Peter - too much to type on my phone! You should try starting a topic on methods and flies. This is better info IMO and keeps you flexible.

Back with you tomorrow! Cheers Paul

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Beginners”