PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Hello Board.I'm new!

eddylynch9
Answers: 0

Hello Board.I'm new!

Post by eddylynch9 »

Hello,I have just joined the forum.I have enjoyed the sexyloops website for quite a while and I have only found out about the board.Just to let you know I live in Ireland and I have started fly fishing last Saturday.I have been taught the basics with casting by my dad.

I have a little fishing report for ye to enjoy:

Saturday, I have been out fly fishing for brown trout on the lake and river.I had to fish the river due to it being too windy on the lake.The river wasn't flooded so the fish were only toddlers.I got 4 takes but I presume the hook was too big.I have been practicing with no fly on the grass and water and this is the first time I used a fly.My dad gave me instruction which greatly helped.When the river is flooded I have heard of brownies up to a pound ventures into the river from the lake.

The Rod: Shakespeare Agility Fly 9ft 5 weight
Leader: 9ft tapered 6lb leader
Fly: I don't know the name.It is a wet fly.Black body and black wings with brown
The Fish: Small toddlers,only babies I'd say.Didn't a chance to fish the lake with bigger fish.

This is my report and I hope you enjoy reading.

I will be adding a lot of fishing reports and as expected with me being a beginner I will also be asking a lot of questions.

Thanks,
eddylynch9
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Hello Board.I'm new!

Post by Paul Arden »

Hey that's great Eddy, congratulations on your first fish!!! I've been busy teaching my g/f to fish. It's great to be part of the whole process again and not only lessons :)

One thing I would suggest is to add an additional 6ft of tippet to your tapered leader. This will give you a total leader length of 15ft or 1.5 times the rod length which is a great rule of thumb. When you ultimately replace the tapered leader I would recommend to 10lbs - and you can still drop to 6lbs from there on. And I don't know what system you are using for attaching the leader to flyline but I would recommend a needle knot.

Great to have you on board!

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
eddylynch9
Answers: 0

Hello Board.I'm new!

Post by eddylynch9 »

Paul Arden wrote:Hey that's great Eddy, congratulations on your first fish!!! I've been busy teaching my g/f to fish. It's great to be part of the whole process again and not only lessons :)

One thing I would suggest is to add an additional 6ft of tippet to your tapered leader. This will give you a total leader length of 15ft or 1.5 times the rod length which is a great rule of thumb. When you ultimately replace the tapered leader I would recommend to 10lbs - and you can still drop to 6lbs from there on. And I don't know what system you are using for attaching the leader to flyline but I would recommend a needle knot.

Great to have you on board!

Cheers, Paul
I didn't land the fish,it was just takes.I use the triple surgeons knot to tie my tippet to leader.

Return to “Beginners”