PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Hi loopers!

Jaws
Answers: 0

Hi loopers!

Post by Jaws »

New guy reporting in!

A couple of years ago when I decided to ditch my spinning rod I luckily stumbled upon this site when looking for advice on casting. I had decided that I must learn to cast, since I had been fishing with spin fishing gear for pretty much my whole life, and did't want to suck with the flyrod! :cool:
I don't know whats wrong with me but I became a casting geek quite quickly reading this site, and been lurking ever since!

So thanks Paul, and all the other regulars for the great site and forum! I don't think I would have ever been able to develop as a caster and a fly fisherman as fast without you guys!

Looking forward to some great discussions! Rivers have just been closed for the autumn here in Finland and the coastal seatrout season hasn't really started in Helsinki yet, so its a good time to geek out on casting!

Cheers from Finland!
Jaws
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Hi loopers!

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Jaws and...

WELCOME TO THE BOARD!! :cool: :cool:

Do you know Sakari the stripper and the other Finnish casters?

Your rivers shut early! Is the coastal fishing like North Germany? I.e. bloody freezing and largely imaginary? :)

Cheers!
Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Graeme H

Hi loopers!

Post by Graeme H »

Welcome to the board (officially, at least. :) )

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
Jaws

Hi loopers!

Post by Jaws »

Thank you!

No, I don't know those guys, other than from their posts from the forums.

Most rivers in Finland are closed from september 11th till november 15th, if they have a naturally spawning trout or salmon population.

And yes, the sea trout fishing on the coast of Helsinki is higly imaginary! Probably even more than in Germany, judging by the photos that Bernd keeps posting! But i figure since the fish are just a myth, then so must be the cold! :D It actually took me almost two seasons of imaginary freezing land my first fish! But I still love it, one of my favourite kinds of fishing, maybe after chasing arctic char and brownies up north in the summer!

Jaws
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Hi loopers!

Post by Paul Arden »

Wow your rivers open early too! Typically in the UK, rivers for trout fishing close somewhere between the middle of September to the beginning of October and open again sometime between the beginning of March and the beginning of April. Salmon are different. Anyway great to have you on the Board! Since you are down the casting route you should try to hook up with the other guys too :)

I really must get over to Finland sometime, the North must be absolutely amazing!

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Jaws

Hi loopers!

Post by Jaws »

Hi Paul,

unfortunately the fishing in northern Finland in most places isn't as good as it could be, compared to Norway and Sweden, due to over fishing/crazy netting culture/hydropower and overall ignorance and bad fishing politics and regulations.
Luckily things are slowly improving over there too, so there's hope. The grayling fishing can be really amazing in the "arm" of Finland though, so maybe that's what you should try some day!

For trout and char, I try to get to northern Norway or Sweden at least once a year.

Cheers,
Jaws
Bernd Ziesche

Hi loopers!

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

Hello Jaws!
Welcome to the board!
Good to have you posting now.
Cheers
Bernd
http://www.first-cast.de