PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Tips for crisping up the back cast

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

OK Neil, how about changing the game and go for absolute distance. Often when I get stuck I change the discipline. I have a feeling that you are not controlling the wrist properly - the acceleration comes from the wrist. With accuracy it's very minimal and controlled but it has to be there!

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Neil Owens
Answers: 0

Post by Neil Owens »

I suspect you're on the money. A few years ago I had a big off on my motorbike and broke a lot of bits in my hands and wrists. And other bits that aren't used in casting. And I wonder if my wrist is just too weak. I know it's not a power thing but there is a certain element of muscle control required. So I've bought one of those wrist exercises. It can't hurt and I'll stop if my vision goes blurry.

Anyway, let's see where I get to after half a dozen hours practice over Christmas. Currently I'm standing on a penalty spot in the park, aiming at the posts. The locals must think I'm mad.
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

Neil,

Can I suggest the exercise of flicking water from a paint brush? Dip the brush in a glass of water and "cast" with it. The idea is to keep the water in the brush all the way to the end of the stroke, at which point it needs to come out in a focussed blob or line of water (not a big arc of spray).

Tim Rajeff shows it in this video. The exercise teaches a sudden stop which should crisp up the stop on your back cast.

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Along the same lines, Bill Gammel recommends throwing a set of car keys over your shoulder.

Flycasting Definitions
t.z.

Post by t.z. »

"up" not "back" ... helped me - and how do you hold your rod? Try to see the back of your hand instead of the inside / palm.
Neil Owens

Post by Neil Owens »

Paul

You were right. Floppy wrist = crappy cast.

5 mins with the rod end wedged in my shirt cuff persuaded me. Then 15 mins throwing some really lovely tight loops to 30'

The best thing is though when it all just comes together as you remember and put into place all the snippets of information you've stored - lose grip, taught line, crisp stop, wrist that's - unflappy ...

And then it got too dark to see what I was doing.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

You know that first backcast is no more than a "squeeze stop". It's an abrupt and tight acceleration. Sometimes it's best to just think about stopping the rod. It's not what we are doing, what we are doing is making a crisp acceleration in a small arc. Thomas' tip is excellent by the way. If you have a wide loop then generally you are using too wide an arc. Just practise throwing the narrowest loops back and forward off the side where you can see them. Try doing it with less and less force. And then learn to do it in all planes.

I'm pleased that you've had a revelation tonight. I was getting a bit worried :cool:

Cheers Neil,
Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Neil Owens

Post by Neil Owens »

Well 2 things sussed today

1. The lift is completely separate from the acceleration/flick. If I concentrate on keeping them separate the back cast is much tighter.

2. Casting with low winter sun directly behind you enables you to see just how wobbly rod tip is when casting. Straighten it out and casts are so much better all around! Who'd have thought!!
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

2 depends on the rod, Neil. I invoke this when testing a rod. It's possible to reduce it through technique but it's also possible to minimise it through design. There are many times when I like to set a fast tight loop on the backcast and an unbalanced rod creates tip vibrations.

Best for me is casting in the dark under lights or else casting a luminous line in complete darkness

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Neil Owens

Post by Neil Owens »

There's a big hockey pitch in the park that runs serious floodlights - I'll have to give that a go!

And you can get luminous fly lines? How cool is that!!

And while I'm practising with a cheap old rod ( Grays GRXi 5/6 ) it's all me getting it wrong at present. But it's a nice feeling knowing you're doing something wrong then solving it - with helpful advice where needed.

And casting in the park definitely seems to pull the ladies. Her name was Molly - unfortunately she's a labridoodle.

Return to “Beginners”