PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Evidence of good practice sessions

Matthew Stevens
Answers: 0

Post by Matthew Stevens »

I have been hitting the lunch break practice sessions hard the last couple weeks. This has been the somewhat uncomfortable result.

I feel like I should consider some kind of protection or is this just my inner wuss speaking?

I would be interested to see if others also have "casting arm" :D
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Throwing distance. That’s quite a bruise Matthew. I also get bruised, but only occasionally like that. I have considered leather pads but that’s as far as I’ve got with the idea. I think there would be some interesting options here. I’d love to hear what you come up with!

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

The best I have come across is a tennis elbow strap with a buckle for tightening. Just position it on your arm so the buckle sits over the impact point of your rod and underarm. The padding under the buckle and the buckle takes all the impact and prevents any bruising whatsoever.

John
John Waters

Re: Evidence of good practice sessions

Post by John Waters »

Just noticed the bruise on your hand, just surmising here but are you using a thumb on top grip? If so, suggest you change to an overhand grip.

John
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

I've never seen hand bruising there. I also didn't notice it.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
stesiik

Post by stesiik »

Hi Matthew!

Looks familiar. I had those a lot, sligthly higher up on the arm. I am guessing your rod doesnt have a fighting butt and you are using what we call a late butt-push in the backcast?

The end of the handle tucked in against the wrist/forearm until the very last instance, then ending the backcast with a wrist-whip combined with a hard push on the butt with your upper forearm.

It is a beautiful thing. One of the best ways Ive seen to get brutal end tip speed in a backcast. Makes for effortless fishing with heavy long lines too when scaled down.

If I am not totally wrong here mount a fighting butt on the rod and get your handle and butt covered in sports/grip tape or simular. A better handle will most likely loosen up your grip and give lots of other nice benefits. Including even more speed belive it or not.

Those bruices will go away as you refine, Most if not all of the swedish Comp casters has gone through that stage. Its good news!

Keep up the good work!

Best regards
Stefan
James9118

Post by James9118 »

The best example of this I saw was TC - he practiced so much that he put a hole in his skin, had to cast with a bandage in place for a month or so :D :D :D

Return to “Beginners”