PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Salmon Fishing explained

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Salmon Fishing explained

Post by Paul Arden »

15) How many salmon did Falkus catch in his lifetime?
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Rich Knoles
Answers: 0

Salmon Fishing explained

Post by Rich Knoles »

All of them
TrevH

Salmon Fishing explained

Post by TrevH »

:D :D :D
Dave Alexander

Salmon Fishing explained

Post by Dave Alexander »

Falkus caught a lot of Salmon, I don't quite remember if gave his estimated total in his book, but he seemed to be the keen type to keep records of catches. Seems like it would have been in the thousands and thousands over his life time.

Salmon taking at night...I remember reading some of his accounts regarding Salmon taking at night, and it wasn't often even though he fished for sea trout at night regularly in rivers were both were present. If I remember correctly the few that he reported catching were very late into the night or very early morning on a H.F. sunk lure fly (which is basically a tandom hook streamer). I have not really fished much at night for anything (trout or salmon) so can comment at all.

Fish lies... Much of what you all ready know about trout fishing rivers applies (which other have already said), so you can easily start without hesitation. However this is also where a more initmate/specific river knowledge of a guide can be helpful. Even in Nova Scotia many of the rivers vary with differnt types of flows rock/beds and can often have fishing holding in differents places. Some time places you wouldn't expect.

One of the things that really helped my salmon fishing was timing my trips. Fortunately my workplace is pretty flexable in taking a day off short notice so that makes it easier to time your fishing days with weather, water level (which is really important) and whether there are actually fish in the river (this one is quite important also :D ). Having about half a dozen rivers to fish within about a 2 hour drive enabled me to fish certain rivers based these factors and help my catching sucess rate. Some rivers clear after rain at different rates, drop off differnetly, or fish better higher or lower, which can be a big factor in deciding which ones you want to target. For about 5 years (early to mid 2000's) I was averaging about 1/2 fish per day or 1 Salmon for every 2 days of fishing, not including the ones I hooked, raise, lost etc. For here that is good, but it's was mainly due to the fact that my trips usually just one day or two at a time an d completely when I though I would have the best chance of sucess.

It is very difficult (imho) to plan Salmon fishing trip 3-12 months ahead with success. There are always seasons, periods, weeks, when the fishing is generally the best on particularly rivers or regions, but this is always dependant on so many other factors. The water was too low, too high, too cold, too hot, too clear, too dirty, no fish, stale fish, etc. etc. etc. In summary the local Fisherman ought to always have the best sucess rate for the river per time invested. He won't waste time going when he shouldn't and he will maximize time when he should. If there is someone out there who plans a regular/yearly salmon fishing trip on a particular river with a high degree of sucess let me know. If/when I actually have enough money to go on a trip I will go to that river at that time. :D

Back to your question regarding rods size...

I am definitely no 2 hand expert, but I would think that a 15ft 10 would be a bit big. I'm thinking a 14ft 8/9 wt or even a 13ft 7/8 wt could almost handle most fishing situations. I could be totally wrong here, but that would be more the size range of what I would jump in with. I mean in terms of line size a 8wt spey line is close to an 11-12 weight single hander isn't it?

As far as line types go you definitely want some thing in the Floating, fast intermediate to type 3 and a HiD 6-8 ips. I don't like tips generally, but on the 2 hander they don't seem feel as wet sockish. I really do prefer the way a full sinker fishes to a tip though, there is just some thing better about the whole line being under. As Steve indicated there are flows where a tip would certainly be easier to fish. I just have a feeling that you would prefer a set of full lines.

I am still trying to figure out what line combos I like on my 12ft 6" 7/8wt. To me the whole spey line thing seems off compared to single handers. I mean the single hand lines I use to fish rivers with are about 55-65 head length, if I am doing that with a 9ft'r you would think it would be a longer on a 2 hander but that doesn't seem to be the way things are marketed. I don't feel confident in saying that though, because my casting with the spey rod isn't at the same level as the single handed rod. I almost think I would actually like DTs.

I got a Rio powerspey line from the Knut auction and want to give that a go as a floater. It has a longer head (63') and I think I will like it better than the wind cutter tip line that I currently have. Got to get that line rigged up...

This new draft function is really great, did I mention that already? :sorcerer:

Dave
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Salmon Fishing explained

Post by Paul Arden »

Like you I think there is a big difference to fishing a sink tip compared to a full line on rivers, Dave. I've spent decades fishing full sinking lines on rivers for trout, and I'm only just now getting into sinktips. I don't think they replace full lines in any way, but instead complement them. Which has become a bit of a problem because I now find myself carry two more lines - a streamer line for Single Handed Speys and a sink tip system of the same, and all the other lines I was carrying before!

For trouting I carry an clear Slime Line Intermediate, full HD and a WetCel 2. The WetCel 2 rarely comes out on Stillwaters apart from fry feeders, but it's been a very useful river line at times. This all starts to become a problem when you price up salmon reels and spools :p

There is no question that a 13ft 7wt is what I need for the Drava. However many have advised me that I should learn DHD casting with a 15ft 10 weight. I am looking at AAPGAI Salmon - I currently need two disciplines at Master Level to become a Senior Assessor. Of the two possible I think Fly Tying is the least attainable for me (it's not that I can't tie flies; it's that no else one understands them :p ). So I feel that I am embarking on a ten year journey here, because I'm not going to take this exam until I feel that I am capable of teaching Salmon fishing, and in order to do that I need understand it. And I'll have to make some major life-changes to manage it, spending time fishing with you in Nova Scotia (Great!), BC, Russia, Norway and Scotland. And I'll probably do them in monthly or two-monthly visits sort of thing. If I'm going to do this - and I am - then I need to put a serious amount of time into their pursuit.

I'm thinking about coming over and seeing you in the Fall; it would be good to know what's the ticket on the truck up North - although I suspect I'm going to need a new one! Anyway it's about time we had a campfire together and played some rock :cool:

Cheers! Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Salmon Fishing explained

Post by Paul Arden »

I got this reply from An Ren Tan on Facebook after seeing the thread (thanks!),

Hello Paul!

I saw your thread on Sexyloops about Pacific salmon so here we go... i shall take a stab at sharing what little i know about them. there are 5 species in order of size from biggest to smallest. Chinook, Chum, Coho, Sockeye and Pink. the other thing, Atlantic Salmon usually survive spawning and will return to the ocean whereas Pacific salmon all die after spawning.

Chinook.
Typically not a fly target and when they are, usually a deep sinking line or on swung flies in a river like on the Skeena and her tributaries, as well as the Dean and some systems in Alaska. They are occasionally caught off the beaches here in Seattle but rarely. Excellent table fare.

Chum
The males smoke up great or go nicely in a cream cheese dip with some sort of nuts on the top. typically when we get to them in the Puget Sound, they are all colored up and getting ready to spawn. Nisqually River is the exception. Chums in that river come in chrome bright and quite late. I've caught them on small flashabou comets and they are very abundant. The chum smolt shoot straight for the salt after coming out of the gravel and resident Coho, Coastal cutthroat trout and anadromous bull trout feast on the smolts.

Coho
Super tasty, your typical salmon type of flavor, we fish for them from August through to October off the local beaches, its a first light game when you want your first cast to be out at first light or slightly before. flies to try are small surface poppers, sliders, clouser minnows and other general baitfish. When they are waiting to go upriver or in their waiting period, they can still be caught on pink or chartruse flashabou comets.

Sockeye.
I dont know anyone in Seattle who's caught them consistently but they eat little chartruse or pink flies in Alaska or maybe they get flossed. they're a crustacean eater. Very tasty fish with bright red flesh.

Pinks
Most abundant species of pacific salmon which return every other year, like chums, Pinks spawn low in the river and their fry head straight for the salt after becoming smolts so its trout-o-rama every other year with bazillion fry swimming around. when they are still bright, they make good table fare or smoked. you don't want to catch them after they turn dark- they're just nasty.

Let me know if you need more info.

Ren

Flycasting Definitions
Mac78

Salmon Fishing explained

Post by Mac78 »

Paul Arden wrote:Like you I think there is a big difference to fishing a sink tip compared to a full line on rivers, Dave. I've spent decades fishing full sinking lines on rivers for trout, and I'm only just now getting into sinktips. I don't think they replace full lines in any way, but instead complement them. Which has become a bit of a problem because I now find myself carry two more lines - a streamer line for Single Handed Speys and a sink tip system of the same, and all the other lines I was carrying before!
This thread could continue for as long as salmon run our rivers :upside:

If I could give you one piece of advice for Atlantic Salmon, fish as many rivers as you can. Tactics and methods vary massively between river systems and seasons.

The Kola in August will give you a chance in low water to try dries and nymphs for resident salmon. Czech nymphs have become popular for winkling out fish in deeper lies.

"It's an exploration, brings lots of DH dildos, lines, reels, flies and excuses!"
Mac78

Salmon Fishing explained

Post by Mac78 »

One other thing, Atlantic Salmon fly fishing has become overly complicated IMO. Anglers and equipment have evolved, Atlantic Salmon with their pea sized brain haven't!
alex vulev

Salmon Fishing explained

Post by alex vulev »

Paul Arden wrote:

Of the two possible I think Fly Tying is the least attainable for me (it's not that I can't tie flies; it's that no else one understands them :p ).
Cheers! Paul

maybe they could be understood and worth a fortune after 50-70 or so years much like abstractionism or cubism in arts or a van Gogh painting... :???:
Wise indeed was George Selwyn Marryat when he said: "its not the fly; its the driver"

page 193,
GEM Skues,The Way Of A Trout With A Fly
Stoatstail50

Salmon Fishing explained

Post by Stoatstail50 »

So I feel that I am embarking on a ten year journey here, because I'm not going to take this exam until I feel that I am capable of teaching Salmon fishing, and in order to do that I need understand it.
Unless you have your toes in a suitable river Atlantic Salmon are mainly imaginary.

You are about to embark on a ten year journey of unrelenting boredom and probably waste a great deal of dough in the process.

The only reason I do it is so that I can keep fishing after the trout season is closed, for me it goes like this...

.. dull, dull, dull, dull....move.....dull, dull, dull, dull....move.....dull, dull, dull, dull.. etc, etc.....sleep....etc, etc,

...last year this went on for five days solid...it's very, very, very BORING..!!

Ask Rich...how many days, how many fish, how much did it all cost ?
Casting Definitions

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.

Return to “Beginners”