PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Salmon Fishing explained

Gilly
Answers: 0

Salmon Fishing explained

Post by Gilly »

Hi Pete,

I was on the Dee at Crathes, fab water.
t.z.

Salmon Fishing explained

Post by t.z. »

Is this an age thing? I started to feel the urge too a few weeks ago and so went out for the first time on my 50s Bday. I met with a few guys from the Drammen area which were very helpful getting things rolling. One fish caught - not by me though, but anyway. Less virtual than SWFF it seems as last weekend I was there again with my newly aquired double hander ... need to aquire the needed skill to cast it, which is obvious. Fun to learn this style.

Pål Andersen, the fab man so kindly sharing his vast knoweledge gave me good tips and he caught three fish in the meantime while I was fighting the long rod and the whooting head.

This whole salmon fishing seems quite a relaxed affaire. When season is over and I´ll have to sit down tying some flies - which I am looking really forward to. Tube flies is the thing to go they say - and I believe them.
The Dog

Salmon Fishing explained

Post by The Dog »

Hi Paul!
Unfortunately the only way to understand the salmon fishing is just practice. Too many variables in this problem, many methods and tactics.
And if we look for useful advice, but only in respect of a particular river at a certain time up to one week. And of course no matter how good a fisherman you are, but look for the debut of a good guide.
By the way how did you like the Kola?
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Salmon Fishing explained

Post by Paul Arden »

Amazing fishery. The best brown trout fishery I've fished. I had my best night's fishing ever; 10 fish for 55lbs, and the largest brown I've landed (11.5lbs), all under a Northern Lights show. Incredible.

Curiously (well maybe not) the brown trout take up identical lies to the ones they take up in NZ. It's just you can't see them because their camouflage system works in Russia! And such beautiful fish...

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Beginners”