PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Loop control

Graeme H
Answers: 0

Re: Loop control

Post by Graeme H »

Here is one forming in an earlier video:

Try making a 50' cast using the minimum effort, that is, so little power that the loop fails to reach the nail knot. Keep the rod tip high while the loop progresses. (I use this drill for most of my students now, since it removes the tendency to apply power incorrectly.)

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Graeme, interesting videos. I’ll have a look from home but the loop I’ve drawn has a complete circle of line at the nose of the loop.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Have watched all three now! Could only see the first two in the supermarket! This is the unknown loop -
Attachments
FB48D38D-0808-4A39-9F03-EEDC1661D039.jpeg
FB48D38D-0808-4A39-9F03-EEDC1661D039.jpeg (29.9 KiB) Viewed 4632 times

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Graeme H wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:23 am
Paul Arden wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:46 am The “unknown” is a curious one. It probably has to do with haul finishing either slightly pre or post RSP. Unfortunately I can’t throw them at will. I’ve only noticed it perhaps a dozen times (maybe twice that) and don’t have any on film. But they unroll just fine :)

Cheers, Paul
This is definitely not the cause Paul. I throw them at will with or without a haul. The trick is to use the absolute minimum power needed to reach the distance and to keep the tip high after loop formation,

I won't bother telling people why I believe they are happening because I'm too tired to fight that battle.

Cheers,
Graeme
They are also quite easy to throw with the mpr.

Agree with Graeme.

Cheers
Lasse

PS. Point in that pointy loop rarely traces back to rsp1 rather haulspeedmax.
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Lasse,

I’m happy to agree with your PS sometimes but not always! It’s also possible to haul right through RSP.

Please make a video of the circular nose! I’ve never seen it with an MPR. I assumed that the circle of line was all in Tension. I don’t see how wool can hold that together without collapsing. Assuming that we are discussing the same thing (Graeme I don’t think is!).

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

Paul Arden wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:34 pm (Graeme I don’t think is!).

Cheers, Paul
Yep, sorry, my bad. I don't always understand art ... :D
FFi CCI
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

The three-legged waders was art; the loop was technical drawing. :p

Have you seen this loop? It’s rare for me. I’ve seen it (noticed it) 20-30 times. The first guy to point it out was Mike Heritage who asked what it was on the Board. I said I had no idea what he was talking about. One week later he pointed out a cast where I did it. The interesting thing is often I get a few casts where it happens in a row - so I know it’s a timing issue somewhere and I’m almost certain it’s a haul/unloading rod / tip path issue. The circle is about 4 inches in diameter and sits at the loop nose. It’s a tight V-loop on a 90’ carry. The fly leg reaches the nose, goes around a 4 inch loop and then dips into the rod leg. And that loop fires/unrolls as if it wasn’t there.

I’m not sure how it forms. But what fascinates me is that it’s completely stable and every bit as effective as a loop without it.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
nicholasfmoore

Post by nicholasfmoore »

Hi Paul,

I've only done it once with the MPR with the rod leg turning into a circle on turnover, it was so strange, and I haven't been able to recreate it since (well it wasn't intended).

What was you using when you saw them, Paul? Maybe it's a little bit like a micro bucket mend? I've never seen anyone else throw exactly what you describe, as I say, I've done o once but it was a fluke 😂

What was you thinking when you threw them, Lasse? Was it the standard rope that came with the MPR or the double haul kit? Very interesting topic. If someone can do it at will, it would be worth renting a photon fastcam or similar to get it down.

All the best
Nick M

"Memento Piscantur Saepe" :upside:
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

Great!!! :( Now I have to find a way to cast these things ...

;)
FFi CCI
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Paul Arden wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:34 pm Hi Lasse,

I’m happy to agree with your PS sometimes but not always! It’s also possible to haul right through RSP.

Please make a video of the circular nose! I’ve never seen it with an MPR. I assumed that the circle of line was all in Tension. I don’t see how wool can hold that together without collapsing. Assuming that we are discussing the same thing (Graeme I don’t think is!).

Cheers, Paul
Please make a video where your maxhaulspeed happens after RSP, and tell me how that helps the cast.

You probably havent had to cast the mpr as much as I ...

I doubt there is that much tension in the loop :blush:

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)

Return to “Beginners”