PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Loop control

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: Loop control

Post by Paul Arden »

Hang on, Lasse, where did I say max haul speed or it helped the cast?
It’s also possible to haul right through RSP.
Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Jason King
Answers: 0

Post by Jason King »

I have another question if I can run it past you please.
On my forward cast, sometimes I start to get the fluff coming pretty close to the back of my head.
If I slow down a little and adjust the wait time it seems to not travel as close any more.
Is this due to timing being out where I am starting the forward cast too quick which throws the line tip down as it is rolling over?

Jason.
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

It could be Jason, it also may be that your backcast trajectory is too steep. The fact that you do not notice when you adjust the wait time may suggest your trajectory is too steep and in the extra wait time, it drops to just above the horizontal before you come forward. Set your trajectory such that your backcast straightens just above the horizontal and the forward cast straightens just below the horizontal. If that is the case, adjust the trajectory, not the wait time. Timing is an outcome of movement and speed, don't focus on it as a driver.

Looks like Melbourne will open up in the next few weeks so we'll spend some time casting then.

If all else fails, I'll bring a hard hat.

John
Jason King

Post by Jason King »

Haha....if I be honest I have cracked myself in the back of the head a few times.😂...bloody hurts!
Interesting what you are saying the cause may be....so the whole line possibly has a falling trajectory and I am emphasising the downward movement?
Tbh I don’t think I am good enough to adjust the trajectory at this stage....I don’t seem to be doing it as much since I am concentrating on smoothing out the hauls and turning over sooner so hopefully the back of my head suffers less lol.

Jason.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

(Was just messaging with Rick H. He knows the circular loop.)

That’s a difficult one to identify the precise cause and fix Jason. I think there are many possible causes of this - certainly starting early with a high trajectory backcast (breaking 180) is one that I have seen. I do know however that trying to make small changes for me does not permanently fix this issue when teaching. And I’ve tried changing many things and it keeps recurring, making it seem ingrained. So I end up rebuilding the Stroke.

If someone has alternative things to try I would love to hear them. But I don’t have a quick fix on this.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

Does it happen on short casts, long casts or both Jason?

John
Jason King

Post by Jason King »

It happens on casts that are longer mate...30ft+
It hasn’t happened for a couple of weeks so hopefully I am past whatever I was doing to make that happen.
I was just trying to understand what was causing it.
In my mind I was picturing the end of the line rolling over and me putting more force into the end rollover almost whipping the end and causing downward motion.

Jason.
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

Thanks Jason, appreciated. That makes sense. The longer the cast the the flatter the trajectory, relative to the horizontal, because it reflects the size of the casting arc used for that length of line. I think that is the issue. In ICSF fly accuracy casting a dense, heavy line is used and the forward cast does not straighten, no pause at all, but the line is still controlled and does not drop to hit my face or the rod because of the elbow movement and the impact on trajectory.

John
Mangrove Cuckoo

Post by Mangrove Cuckoo »

Jason King wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:52 am I have another question if I can run it past you please.
On my forward cast, sometimes I start to get the fluff coming pretty close to the back of my head.
If I slow down a little and adjust the wait time it seems to not travel as close any more.
Is this due to timing being out where I am starting the forward cast too quick which throws the line tip down as it is rolling over?

Jason.
Hi Jaaon,

Maybe this might help?

If you are a bit gunshy of being smacked by the fluff (fluffshy?), you might be canting the back cast... not up but out.

If your rod is leaning out and your backcast is less than 180 when you attempt a straight forward cast the fluff is gonna clip you almost every time.

Watch your backcast... not behind you but as you begin your pickup. This sounds weird but try to bring the fluff back closer to your face. With a bit of practice you will be able to control the direction and placement of the bc.

Right over the tip is good, but between the rod tip and your head is an option, as is over your head or even outside your opposite shoulder... and all have their time and place.

When you get the bc straight you will no longer get clipped, and you legs will get more perpendicular too.
With appreciation and apologies to Ray Charles…

“If it wasn’t for AI, we wouldn’t have no I at all.”
Jason King

Post by Jason King »

Thanks, I will try and be more aware of my pickup.
The grass at the park I am casting at is often long so I am forced to do a pretty quick pickup when it is like that otherwise the fluff can get caught up in the weeds etc....hopefully they mow it more often once the weather warms up.

Jason.

Return to “Beginners”