PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Newcomer to sexy loops

mikemycroft
Answers: 0

Newcomer to sexy loops

Post by mikemycroft »

Hi all I gave found my way over here from another forum, desperately need to improve my casting , so hope to pick up a few tips.
Cheers Mike
James9118

Newcomer to sexy loops

Post by James9118 »

Hi Mike,

This is a good place to start: http://www.sexyloops.com/flycasting/contents.shtml

Cheers, James
Mike Heritage

Newcomer to sexy loops

Post by Mike Heritage »

I Mike,

Welcome to the board. Ask away.

Mike
It's fly casting Jim, but not as we Know it.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Newcomer to sexy loops

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Mike,

welcome to the Board! This is a good guide from Bill http://www.sexyloops.com/articles/billg ... uide.shtml and of course we love questions! So be sure to ask plenty :cool:

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
mikemycroft

Newcomer to sexy loops

Post by mikemycroft »

I think I know the answer to most of my problems, more practice. I associate distance with effort, and I don't believe it's the case, but when I start casting I can't help myself.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Newcomer to sexy loops

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Mike,

with distance, technique has to come first! Only really in competition does effort apply, but even then never at the expense of technique. Learning to throw straight, both back and forward, with controlled loops, late butt rotation, a smooth fast haul and good form are all keys.

There is a building block to building a distance cast. For me the first thing I teach is not lots of effort, but instead, minimum power! Work on narrow loops, with a short length of line, trying to feel the rod load and unload. Keep talking out the force until the loop only just unrolls. I think you'll be amazed just how little effort a narrow and straight loop requires to fully unroll.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Viking Lars

Newcomer to sexy loops

Post by Viking Lars »

Welcome, Mike!

Lars
John Finn

Newcomer to sexy loops

Post by John Finn »

Have probably been fly fishing for longer than most on the board and of course have developed many bad habits. Fish mostly for trout on small rivers and boat fishing on Irish lakes. Distance isn't really a priority for me as I rarely cover fish more than 20 m away. I know I can put A fly out to 25m if I get everything right , but sexy loops it aint.
Recently inspired by this site , I have decided to practice in an open field. Yes I can see the benefits but I know as soon as I start fishing it will all go out the window. Old dog etc.
One thing I would really like to fix though is, through a fault in my casting I manage to put some serious kinks in my flyline.
I imagine this is a tracking problem. Any suggestions ?
Regards..................................John Finn
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Newcomer to sexy loops

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi John,

How do the kinks look? Is it that the fly hooks to one side or the other and if so, which way do they hook and are you right or left handed?
Yes I can see the benefits but I know as soon as I start fishing it will all go out the window. Old dog etc.
It takes quite a lot of practise to make long-lasting adjustments, but believe me it's well worth it in the long run! I think the key to practise is to vary what you practise, have little games, and for me anyway, to use it as a form of relaxation/escape.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
John Finn

Newcomer to sexy loops

Post by John Finn »

Hello Paul, What I mean by kinks in the flyline is when I pull line off the reel it twists around itself . This means that after a few days hard fishing I need to strip most of the line off the reel and straighten it by drawing it through a damp cloth a few times . When doing this you can actually see the line untwisting towards the end.I was thinking I must have a tracking problem. I am right handed by the way.
Best regards...........John

Return to “Beginners”