PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Line crash ?

resdog
Answers: 0

Line crash ?

Post by resdog »

Hi all,

Well I finally figured out how to get the android to work and downloaded the lessons. Great job Paul and crew ! It took a couple days but I got the dbl. haul down (I still miss a beat every now and than) and have nicer loops both long and short. Here is my question , When I am going long sometimes it looks like the bottom leg crashes into the upper leg at the very end (last 2 feet of loop) ? It isn't collapsing I don't think because the line still has lots of speed. This is with my 4 wt. at 60' to 65'. Also, I read somewhere you mentioned the cause of the line hitting the rod on the back cast ? I guess that's a good thing somewhat since my line and rod must be in the same plane (SLP) ? Not allot just every now and than along with what will be a fly hook soon (spring is coming) flying a little to close to my face for comfort at a damn good clip too.

Its as if the lower leg is going faster than the upper leg loop can roll out if that is possible ? or maybe it is a real tight tail loop ?

Cheers
Paul
resdog

Line crash ?

Post by resdog »

I should add I am doing that from a closed stance if that has anything to do with it ............
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Line crash ?

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi ResDog, congratulations on learning the double haul!! That is excellent news. Well done! :cool:

Before I answer your first question what does your leader look like?

With regards to your second question, there is nothing wrong with modifying your stroke by tilting the rod for safety/ practical reasons. The way I see it is you learn the perfect stroke and then for various reasons modify it when fishing. That said raising your elbow into the backcast and lowering it should solve those particular problems.

It's not possible for the lower leg to travel faster.

Cheers, Paul

Ps when I teach someone the double haul and they get it, I immediately shake their hand. It's the only time in teaching that I do this! It's a huge milestone in your casting and you should give yourself a beer!
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
resdog

Line crash ?

Post by resdog »

"That said raising your elbow into the backcast and lowering it should solve those particular problems. "

I think this is it, The rod collisions occur when I seem to be " off timing" causing me to power up the rod/cast rather than raising the elbow in the drift to catch the full straighten of the line and start the forward cast/haul. The rod is mod/fast so there is some time in the drift ( I like that , Mel said it makes me a "Poet"). I am not sure the "crash" is not unlike the "Pig tail" in another thread , it is difficult to observe , I will see what happens todays training. I may have also identified another culprit, the line I am using is for practice (old junk) and has more cracks than a nude beach on the 4th of July (Independence Day here). I'll cut the tip back and have a look.

Beer ? No Problem !

Cheers
Paul
resdog

Line crash ?

Post by resdog »

Forgot, the leader is just a 6.5 ' run of 1X or 12 lb. test no taper ? tuff of yarn @ the end ...........

I measure cast from tip top to end of line.....
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Line crash ?

Post by Paul Arden »

:D :D I'll be sure to remember that expression!! :cool:

Anyway yes your leader is the problem, Paul. You don't have to buy a factory tapered leader for practise but if not then you need to make one up.

You need a butt section of 30 lbs minimum depending on line tip diameter - essentially at least 2/3rds the diameter of the end of the line - and then taper this down over intervals. The leader should be at least a rod length and preferably 1.5 times.

That should solve the problem. Sorry that's partly my fault somewhere for not making that clear. I shall fix that!

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Line crash ?

Post by Paul Arden »

Oh and the cracked line will kill your rod rings and vice versa. Personally I'd suggest investing in a decent line as priority over a rod. Cleaning and dressing it is important especially if you're abusing it!

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
resdog

Line crash ?

Post by resdog »

Hey Paul,

Feel free to use the expression ! I switch out the line and put a real leader on. I didn't see the problem today even before the line switch. Curious, how is the leader causing the crash ? Is it a tail loop ?

Return to “Beginners”