PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Ladyfish

Moderator: Paul Arden

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 1

Ladyfish

Post by Paul Arden » Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:35 pm

Next month we shoot an episode fly fishing for Ladyfish. Has anyone fished for these? I think I caught some in Darwin, but maybe they were a different species or even fish :D

Does anyone have any useful info to share please? 8WT? 6WT?

Thanks,
Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Graeme H
Answers: 1

Re: Ladyfish

Post by Graeme H » Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:43 pm

Yep, I love catching these fish. They are called Giant Herring in Australia and they are the same species (I believe).

They are incredibly fast and very acrobatic. Landing them is very difficult and they are a bit fragile when you do handle them. Better to have the thrill of the hit and first part of the fight, then have them self-release at distance if you can.

I catch them on 6wt in the Swan River (mainly fish to 50cm but get up to 120cm on rare occasions). I use 8 or 10wt in Exmouth because they are mainly a by catch.

You'll need an abrasion resistant tippet (20lb at least). Check the tippet after EVERY hit, even if it appears to be a glancing blow. I prefer small, light-weight flies because they are harder for the fish to throw when they are tail walking.

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI

James9118

Re: Ladyfish

Post by James9118 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:22 pm

Cudas love em :oh:
CIMG0940.jpg

Return to “Flyfishing”