PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Decline in Flyfishing

Moderator: Paul Arden

Mangrove Cuckoo

Re: Decline in Flyfishing

Post by Mangrove Cuckoo » Sat Nov 06, 2021 2:23 pm

Yeah...

I do not see a decline in fly fishing around South Florida, in fact, it seems quite the opposite. Among the long term anglers I would hazard to say that the decline is in conventional techniques as many are transitioning to fly. It has become the new cool thing to do, if not the new standard... in nearshore salt water angling anyway.

As in most everything else, COVID has changed the landscape. There has been a huge increase in interest in fishing and boating. But I doubt that fly fishing is a large percentage in the new influx of folks dipping lines in the water.

Coincidentally, the Miami International Boat Show just concluded. It is seen by many in the boating industry as the thermometer in the butt of the industry. Boat sales, from tiny to yachts, is reported to be up 40% over the last year!
"Technique is the proof of your seriousness"

Wallace Stevens

davestocker

Post by davestocker » Sat Nov 06, 2021 4:05 pm

My observations were highly UK-centric. I have no doubt that people elsewhere in the world will stick with it or discover its charms. Anyone from NZ care to comment on how you guys see things? Softbaiting seems to be a popular thing, where once it never really used to exist.

tomo

Post by tomo » Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:36 pm

Hi,
I think fly fishing is on a evan keel in NZ. I started over 20 years ago now, and havnt seen a dramatic change one way or the other. Fly fishing club membership seams to be down across the board here, but it's not just fishing clubs that have experienced that since the tech age really took off in the last x number of years.

I'm not sure what fishing licence sales have done long term here ( all fresh water methods included in that) but certainly since the borders have been closed licence sales are up statically. Kiwis have made up and exceeded the loss from international angler licence sales.

What has boomed in popularity is soft baiting everywhere, and soft baiting & drifting small lures and egg flies on a spinning rod in the central south Island canal systems. So much so new regulations for seasons have been introduced. No doubt due to social media etc. A very small percentage of anglers fly fish the canal systems , but it does happen.

Cheers, Tom.

Torsten

Post by Torsten » Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:26 pm

Hi,

I've found a comprehensive report on the ASA homepage:
https://asafishing.org/wp-content/uploa ... _WEB_1.pdf

"PARTICIPATION OVER TIME
2020 brought strong growth to fly fishing in terms of total participants (up
11%), average number of days fished (up 14%) and total days fished (up 27%).
Three-year growth has also been strong, with participant numbers growing an
average of 3% annually. A record 7.8 million Americans fly fished in 2020 as the
participation rate hit 3% for the first time."

-> In the US the popularity of fly fishing is growing and not declining.

I've tried to find something similar for Europe but failed so far. Subjectively I'd say in Germany perhaps I see more people fly fishing but still on a low level; I'm sure less than 5% or 10% from all anglers are fly fishing. I was today in Berlin at the fishing fair, I've seen 3 fly fishing booths but surely more than 20 spin fishing etc. I'm guessing fly fishing has not yet the "coolness factor" - if you want to earn money with fishing here you need to be one of the Youtube influencers, have some tattoos and wear a base cap :)

Torsten.

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 1

Post by Paul Arden » Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:27 pm

That’s staggering in the US. Does anyone know why?
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Flyfishing”