PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Best advice for weighted articulated flies…..

Moderator: Paul Arden

VGB
Answers: 0

Re: Best advice for weighted articulated flies…..

Post by VGB »

Lasse Karlsson wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 5:45 am But that was not the question 🙂
The chicken wasn't the question either, it was a sausage :p
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Lasse Karlsson
Answers: 0

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

VGB wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 12:35 pm
Lasse Karlsson wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 5:45 am But that was not the question 🙂
The chicken wasn't the question either, it was a sausage :p
Thats right, but it kept falling of and getting eaten, so I had to change to a rubber chicken :p
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

I believe the problem is your fly has taken over the cast. In other words, your line is not heavy enough!
Sorry I was offline!

This is an interesting one and something I’ve thought about often over the years. I don’t think however that it’s simply a case of the line not being heavy enough because with some weighted streamers they get to a point where they are often easier to cast on spinning tackle! In which case (and in Lasse’s poulette) the flyline inhibits the cast but the most effective way to deal with that is to turn it into a loop. Ie the loop unrolls the flyline and the poulette has learned to fly!

I think what you are doing there with the heavier heads is spot on, James. It must have to do with having the line weight more in balance with the fly weight. The stuff we go though in the name of “fly fishing” :laugh:

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Flyfishing”