PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

The Strike!

Moderator: Paul Arden

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

The Strike!

Post by Paul Arden »

Gary’s FP http://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/reading-glasses

This subconscious strike is an interesting one. However it’s not as widely believed to be a “trout strike/set” IMO but instead a “dryfly/nymph strike”. When fishing streamers for trout, or surface muddlers, the same thing applies - I’d keep the rod down and carry on retrieving.

I’ve never had a problem “trout striking” in ISW as a consequence. “Trout striking” with poppers on Snakehead also results in missed fish. However striking for Gourami with dry flies requires a “trout strike/set” - conversely a “strip set” will pull the fly out of their mouths!

Unfortunately these actions all need to be ingrained to become sub-conscious.

As a side, I’m having a big problem setting the hook on Jungke Perch with poppers. I’ve been strip setting and missing a lot of fish - I think because they are so bloody fast! For these fish I’m going to try both strip setting and “trout striking” combined to see what happens. The problem is remembering to do this when it happens! :p

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Boisker
Answers: 0

The Strike!

Post by Boisker »

Just had to google Jungle Perch... nice fish, amazingly ours are more colourful, that’s a first :D
I imagine they are loads of fun on a light line
Paul Arden
Site Admin

The Strike!

Post by Paul Arden »

They fight very hard indeed. I’ve had them on dries and poppers. Mostly they are caught on small streamer patterns fished 10-15ft down. In Malay it’s Sebarau. They’re not actually in the Perch family. The IGFA record is from Temenggor Lake where I fish. It’s around 15lbs which is a hell of a size!! My biggest is only 1.5KG. It’s a fish I want to get to know better and the Wet Season ie now is the best time of year for them.

Cheers, Paul
Attachments
3BAFD921-A994-473A-99B9-88C3AA241CA6.jpeg

Flycasting Definitions
Boisker
Answers: 0

The Strike!

Post by Boisker »

That’s not the jungle Perch I just googled :D :D
It’s a tad bigger, I retract my line line suggestion :D
Paul Arden
Site Admin

The Strike!

Post by Paul Arden »

They normally fish 6WTs. The one above was on the HT4. But for the big fellas an 8WT wouldn’t be overgunned. I’ve been experimenting with braid tippets on these fish too! Pound for pound of all the fish here they probably hit and fight the hardest. And believe me that’s saying something!!!

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Flyfishing”